True cost of fitted wardrobes / Sharps et al?

(9 Posts)
escape Wed 30-Mar-16 15:04:24

Ideally, this house desperately needs some fitted wardrobes, - but like anyone, the budget isn't huge, and when the cost of decent stand alone stuff is so high anyway, it does make sense.

I really can't be bothered with getting people like Sharps out to design etc to be given an unaffordable quote a week later - has anyone had any fitted robes done recently and can just talk ballpark?

In my relatively spacious bedroom I'd probably be looking at something that goes over the bed, with a single robe on either side, with a chest and dressing table for the opposite wall.

Any insight gratefully received!

thisisbloodyridiculous Wed 30-Mar-16 22:18:32

We had a quote for two half sized wardrobes to go in an alcove. They originally quoted £5k came down to £3.5k we had them done by a joiner for £850

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 30-Mar-16 22:21:44

I was going to say, get a couple of local joiners to quote instead.

JT05 Thu 31-Mar-16 07:18:41

Years ago we had great fitted wardrobes by Magnet ( still looking as new), sadly they stopped going them and we are leaving them. I remember the other companies being very pushy and hugely expensive.
We are also going down the local joiner route for new ones. Unless someone has a better idea! 😁

camelfinger Thu 31-Mar-16 07:22:13

Definitely joiner. Ours was £3k but that was for three big wardrobes with cupboards above and a corner cupboard. I think the likes of Sharps etc don't have as much flexibility to make the most of all available space.

TalkMeDownPlease Thu 31-Mar-16 07:24:03

Definitely avoid Sharps! They quoted me £2000 to fit one cupboard in my porch for coats! We ended up going to Ikea and getting a not quite so glamorous but much much cheaper storage solution.

magpie17 Thu 31-Mar-16 08:19:17

Sharps are ridiculous, one small wardrobe was quoted as £2000! The salesman also 'referred' us to his 'mate' who kept calling to offer to undercut sharps - it was all a bit dodgy. In the end went to a local supplier for the doors, which were much nicer than sharps anyway (can highly recommend if you're near Glasgow) and DH built the internal stuff using a kit from ikea and the whole thing cost £350.

escape Thu 07-Apr-16 10:07:55

Ah! Thanks everyone, that's verified what I thought I knew about Sharps et al - to find a joiner now!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 07-Apr-16 10:43:30

We got a joiner to make our kitchen cupboards, half the price of a good quality kitchen company and made of solid oak, so still looking fantastic 10 years later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now