Talk

Advanced search

Extension will take how long! I think builder must be planning on hand making the bricks!

(6 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 16:57:10

Had a quote today for a very small extension. 170cmx80cm, single story. Two walls are already there as my house currently has a dog leg which I want squaring off, so only two walls need actually building.

Then plaster boarding, painting. Loo and sink put in so I guess ey need attaching to waste water and water supply.

Builder reckons 4-6 weeks! Does this sound right?

NorthernLurker Fri 04-Dec-15 17:01:18

It will need foundations though too won't it. How many people working on it? Next door to us converted a garage in to a bathroom and bedroom and I think that took at least that long and didn't involve any new walls or foundations, just internal ones and bricking up the garage door.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 17:06:47

Sounds like ive under estimated how long these things take then. No idea how many people working on it. Never asked!

Marmitelover55 Fri 04-Dec-15 17:17:48

And I assume it needs walls taking down and steels putting in? Sounds about right to me!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 18:10:38

No wall to take down but a doorway to be put in. Not sure if steel RSJ will be needed. Maybe.

NoMoreMissusNiceGuy Fri 04-Dec-15 22:09:58

We are currently having a porch built on the front of the house .... started 2nd November. It's approx 1m x 1.5m.

- foundations dug
-foundations concreted
-block foundation built
-wooden frame built
-wooden roof on + attached to exisiting wall
-roof felted and tiles on
- drains dug and joined to existing drain for guttering waste pipes
- gutters and downpipes installed, and soffits
- window fitted
-door fitted
- doorway into house knocked through
- cables in for light and socket
-walls insulated and plasterboarded
- doorway tidied, surround built, internal door fitted

Still to go:
- plastering
- socket and light fittings
-skirtings and door facings
- outside to be stone-clad to blend in with front of house
-steps to be formed
- new path to be laid

I'm thinking it might be finished by Christmas! But - we have had some shocking weather and the builders have been here every day they could be, so I am happy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now