Talk

Advanced search

Do we do the carpets first or last?

(21 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 06-Nov-15 15:50:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonkylegs Fri 06-Nov-15 16:15:18

Afterwards - electrical work can be amazingly messy, plaster and brick dust are terrible to get out.
We did rewire as the first bit of work when we renovated this house and I'm glad we did, we also did the plumbing/heating work prior to the finishing work (decorating/carpets) and despite generally being tidy plumbers, a dirty rad valve got dropped on the carpet thankfully it was the existing carpet so didn't matter.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 06-Nov-15 16:17:51

wowfudge Fri 06-Nov-15 16:26:15

Nope - they can work around a bed/wardrobe/sofa, but not all of them in one room.

silversixpence Fri 06-Nov-15 16:26:49

Definitely carpets after plastering/painting. We will be in the same boat but hopefully no rewiring so planning to do the carpets before we move in. But if not possible we'll have to take everything out of the rooms.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 06-Nov-15 16:29:54

AnneSansTete Fri 06-Nov-15 16:31:57

I'd do carpets last. Just had a lot of artex plastered over, then had to paint it with watered down paint so it doesn't crack. It would've been a nightmare if I was trying not to mess up new carpet.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Fri 06-Nov-15 17:10:50

I'm fixing upping and desperate to do the carpets but we are doing some knocking through and id be gutted if I got a load of dust and crap on my new carpets so am patiently waiting hmm

ShoeJunkie Fri 06-Nov-15 17:13:41

Carpet last, we've just done similar and the carpets that are in situ are in a state despite the builder being careful. New carpets are our next job!

Tutt Fri 06-Nov-15 17:14:32

When we do fixers we get the cheapest crappiest carpet put down in the bedrooms.
It makes it better to 'live' in ( we always live in our fixers) and it also makes it easier to clear the mess up at the end, don't have to worry about dust sheets etc.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 06-Nov-15 17:16:17

NetballHoop Fri 06-Nov-15 17:21:09

If you can afford it then Tutt's suggestion is great. If you're hoping to keep the carpets then they need to go in after the work is done.

Paintedhandprints Fri 06-Nov-15 17:23:08

Can you put some furniture in storage? Do you have a garage? Plaster dust from rewiring can get everywhere. You could pay extra for a more careful tradesman however.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Fri 06-Nov-15 17:33:47

Last definitely.

We did a fixer upper and the builders tried putting protective plastic over the old carpets to protect them while they did the wiring, plumbing, but they were a complete state by the time we got round to replacing them all.

You can carpet with offcuts and end of reels really cheaply though so you could do that if you want some comfort in the meantime.

wonkylegs Fri 06-Nov-15 17:40:08

We've carpeted once the furniture was in, we moved out as much as possible and they worked round big pieces. The carpet fitters were fab, we stuck around to help move furniture when needed.

silversixpence Fri 06-Nov-15 17:51:03

Mermaid I am dreading it too! The house is going to be unoccupied so once we are a bit more sure its all going ahead (ie if surveys are fine) we are going to ask for permission to go in and do the bedrooms. They won't need any other work hopefully so we can just get them finished. We have floorboards in our bedroom in the house we are in so I am considering doing the same there but not sure yet. I like the cheap carpet idea but DH will not want to add to the costs I think. The stair carpet is the worst (really grotty and old) so might just take it off if the stairs are decent underneath.

Of course they may say we can't go in before completion in which case we will be working around the furniture and children.

Tutt Sat 07-Nov-15 12:20:17

We've done 5.
I would say if you can clear just 1 room that isn't a building site then that makes life easier.
The first one we did we had 1 dinning chair between the 4 of us, no working kitchen and the bathroom was beyond vile plus I was mid degree!

But we did it, we work from the roof down, the childrens rooms first then ours then a working bathroom.
The kitchen was tricky I had a microwave a camping stove, washing machine and tumbler in the spare bedroom!
We normaly have bare shells that need everything doing, interior and exterior structure and the last but one had to have a whole new roof and extensions.

It is easier for us as DH has a building company so DH does most of it himself as we have a team of chaps who are still earning money for us.

It is hard, it causes rows, it may seem endless BUT it is the most fantastic feeling when you see it all coming together. Totally worth it.
My one bit of advice is shop around, our kitchens never cost more than 5k and they are top of the range that kitchen compaines change 20k+ for.
We have our kitchen work tops made from oak, we get the timber yard to cut to size and then a chippy to make them pretty.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 07-Nov-15 12:23:26

Tutt where do you get these magical kitchens from please?! Sound fab.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Sat 07-Nov-15 18:43:05

Tutt Mon 09-Nov-15 19:32:31

It's a online company called DIY kitchens, my DH always recomends them to his customers too, they are great.
We also use eBay so we get 'seconds'. Good kitchen sinks were the weld is a little 'off, £20 etc etc all great quality.
The cooker hood thing in one of the houses we got on ebay as it had a tiny mark on the back (the side that goes against the wall) for ... £110, it was like this one www.johnlewis.com/elica-verdi-chimney-cooker-hood/p1153416?colour=Black%20Glass.
We do lots of research on our projects, months sometimes and even for his building customers, get the best deals at the best price.

allexandramiles Thu 19-Nov-15 14:06:23

Leave the carpets for last! You don't want to double your work, and it is very likely to stain the carpeting during the painting and plumbing jobs. A friend of mine made this mistake and was forced to hire steam cleaners to fix the mess. They washed the carpets pretty well but it was an additional cost she wasn't meant to pay for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now