Advanced search

CDM 2015

(18 Posts)
Mrsladybirdface Thu 13-Aug-15 21:09:12

Does anyone know what is involved? ..does it have to be a surveyor etc? Our architect has quote 400 to do it for us...seems like a money making scam to megrin

Mrsladybirdface Fri 14-Aug-15 08:10:21

bumpity bump

anyone else starting a new extension?

evrybuddy Fri 14-Aug-15 09:37:58

What is CDM?

Mrsladybirdface Fri 14-Aug-15 10:03:43

health and safety...on any work that has more than one contractor you need to employ an architect or surveyor to oversee the health and safety aspects. This could be just having a new kitchen fitted because you would have more than one contractor on site! This obviously adds expense on to the majority of projects!

Mrsladybirdface Fri 14-Aug-15 10:05:12

over excited with my !!!! there. well that's what architect told me. ..He did say it was a swizz

evrybuddy Fri 14-Aug-15 10:49:08

Ahhhh! So this kind of thing -

Is that not more for contractors than householders?
I guess a lot depends on the magnitude of you household!

I'll be having a kitchen and bathroom done soonish - won't be having an architect - no fitters have mentioned CDM to me - up to them I would have thought

Mrsladybirdface Fri 14-Aug-15 13:34:00

Just spoke to the HSE and you do need to have a principle designer and pay them for any work you are having. It is absolutely the duty of the domestic client to make sure this is in place and it has to be someone qualified!absolutely gobsmacked that this is the case...bloody being ripped off £500sad

Mrsladybirdface Fri 14-Aug-15 13:36:42

What you linked to was cdm 2007. The 2015 ones have been updated to include domestic clients.

evrybuddy Fri 14-Aug-15 15:32:36

Yes - sorry for the dud link - I hope I'm not wrong - but I suspect for 'small' jobs not a lot will change and I'm sure you wouldn't need to spend £500.

Architects and surveyors are always covering their backs at the client's expense...

This HSE pdf is useful:

Hamishandthefoxes Fri 14-Aug-15 17:39:15

That hse is out of date - they haven't published the guidance for the 2015 regs yet. Very helpful.

£500 seems s lot of money for this work and you might be able to get it cheaper but you either need to accept health and safety responsibility for the design (perhaps check with your house insurance) or appoint a principle designer.

It's bloody annoying.

Hamishandthefoxes Fri 14-Aug-15 17:41:42

Sorry - the hse doc applies to contractors - there are now 2 stages 1) design and someone gas to be principal designer and 2) construction.

If you don't appoint a principal designer the client ends up assuming the role by default.

evrybuddy Fri 14-Aug-15 19:35:17

The HSE doc was published in 04/2015.

Sometimes people seek to complicate in order to generate income.

As the HSE doc says - this doesn't need to be complicated!smile

evrybuddy Fri 14-Aug-15 19:38:00

* Organisations or individuals can carry out the role of more than one dutyholder, provided they have the skills, knowledge, experience and (if an organisation) the organisational capability necessary to carry out those roles in a way that secures health and safety.

Jedi1 Fri 14-Aug-15 19:41:28

You could act as the PD if you don't want to employ someone in that role, in fact if you don't it defaults back to you anyway. Depending on the size of the project your architect or PM can assume the role.

evrybuddy Sat 15-Aug-15 07:48:00

Yep - it looks from all the info I've read (and the HSE say so) that one person can carry out all the duties.

Which is exactly like employing a builder in the real world now, today.

Seems it can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it.

Be useful to have a 'real' builder comment rather than all us speculators though.

It hasn't been mentioned by or seemed to make a jot of difference to anyone I've had quoting for domestic work.

Probably depends on the magnitude of the job, the number of 'professionals' you consult and how much money they thinnk you have wink

Mrsladybirdface Sat 15-Aug-15 08:33:10

I'm so confused. it's only a bog standard garage conversion! The HSE helpline were really clear that any job with more than one contractor had to employ a "qualified" ie. someone who knows about health and safety to do it. I even gave them the example of my ikea kitchen...which I planned designed and fitted myself but because we had plumber and an electrician in he said I would need to employ someone to do it.

I haven't got to builders stage yet but will ask their thoughts!

Hamishandthefoxes Sat 15-Aug-15 09:00:30

I work in the construction industry but 000,000,000 gbp projects. An awful lot of contractors and consultants don't know about the changes, or do know about them but won't or can't take in the responsibility and say you'll have to employ someone else to do it.

I'd suggest doing it yourself if that's within your home insurance. You need to make sure the project is safe in design, building and use. The first two your architect and builder ought to be able to confirm for you.

evrybuddy Sat 15-Aug-15 10:42:16

@ Mrsladybirdface

People are always covering their backs - so if the HSE said you don't need someone then they would be talking themselves out of existence.

If your architect says you don't need someone - then the architect gets all scared you'll sue them if the builder drops a brick on his toe.

It's not all your responsibility.

Get a proper builder round and ask them - simple as!

For that kind of job I would have thought the builder is the person to be responsible for their own and the project's health and safety

as it seems here:

For clarity - I am not a lawyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now