Talk

Advanced search

Painting stairs

(7 Posts)
MissesandMuddles Wed 24-Jun-15 09:51:57

We moved into a new build around 7 years ago.

I hate our stair carpet. Can I take it up and simply paint what's underneath?

NorbertDentressangle Wed 24-Jun-15 10:24:16

It would be very slippy!

A neighbour has wooden, varnished stairs which look beautiful but they're deadly (even ended up in her friend breaking an ankle on them!)

How about painting them but then having a stair runner?

Diydolly Wed 24-Jun-15 13:42:07

I've had bare wooden stairs for 15 years no problem. Am about to paint mine too for the first time. I'm wondering about doing one stair at a time so we can all keep going up & down all day! There are some fantastic stair painting ideas on Pinterest.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 24-Jun-15 17:33:15

DiyDolly - do you mean bare wood as in completely untreated (in which case it would be less slippy I suppose) or have you used a special non-slip finish of some sort?

diydolly Wed 24-Jun-15 18:53:34

Hi Norbert, ours were completely untreated as we're lazy buggers & never got round to painting/carpeting. I think if your slippers have a grippy bottom it helps, also we do tend to wear shoes in doors. I've slipped on carpet stairs in the past but I guess you'd get a softer landing with carpet! I'm intending to use specific 'floor paint' for the treads as I guess it will wear better, but I think wear to the central area will add to the look over time. I'm thinking of wallpapering the uprights or painting no.s (1,2,3) etc or adding mosaic mirror tiles (saw that & it looked fab). My friend down the road has a wooden hall floor & had the same treatment applied up the staircase over the treads. That has a glossy appearance & she has 3 kids, so far no disaster but slip ups can happen anywhere. Hope that helps

NorbertDentressangle Wed 24-Jun-15 21:47:07

I had a quick google of stair decorating ideas after your post Diydolly and fell in love with this one

diydolly Thu 25-Jun-15 22:03:28

Norbert, we expect progress photos & the finished ta-da! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now