Talk

Advanced search

Retrofit wet UFH in concrete

(6 Posts)
RCheshire Wed 06-May-15 15:02:19

Anyone done/looked into this? Oil-fired CHS feeding radiators. Electric UFH in one bathroom which is fine but I don't want to go electric elsewhere. One reception room would particularly suit UFH (v high ceiling, windows to ground level where radiators would logically sit, new flooring due to be eng. wood).

I'm looking to get a sense of how much it might cost to take up the existing screed in that room and lay wet UFH. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks.

RCheshire Thu 07-May-15 14:48:39

Give this another try...

PigletJohn Fri 08-May-15 11:22:03

I don't know, you had better ask around for recommendations of small local builders. It will be very dusty and noisy work to hack up an existing concrete floor. As a rule of thumb it is not worth doing unless the floors are being taken up or laid during building work.

It is usual to take up the entire floor, consolidate a new base, add DPM, put down insulating foam slabs, pour new concrete incorporating wet UFH, so not a minor job.

RCheshire Sun 10-May-15 17:01:55

Thanks. Yes those are the sort of activities I expect. Rooms in question are having new top flooring, new skirts and archs, walls being skimmed, new doors so it's the time to do it if the cost proves acceptable. Existing screed would need digging up and new system laying. Just need a couple of quotes.

ChishandFips33 Sun 10-May-15 19:32:10

We've retrofitted UFH, total height (not including floor) runs to 20mm using this system
50m2 was £2200 to buy. We laid it (fiddly) and the plumber installed manifold/plumbed it in. No regrets

RCheshire Sun 10-May-15 22:50:41

Thanks for that chishand. Useful to see a price albeit a different system to that I'd started consisting. My floor area a little fiddly shape and about 30m2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now