Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy rejigging our downstairs layout?

(14 Posts)
CoupdeFoudre Sun 25-Jan-15 19:30:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wowfudge Sun 25-Jan-15 19:36:20

Your link doesn't take me to a floor plan. Was it meant to?

CoupdeFoudre Sun 25-Jan-15 19:50:58

nbee84 Sun 25-Jan-15 19:59:07

Well, from a quick look, can you just swap around the kitchen with the lounge? Put the kitchen at the top end of the room - so sink just on the opposite side of the wall so plumbing and drainage should be fairly easy to sort. Do you have a gas hob/oven? Not quite sure how easy it is to get that moved. Then you can have a dining table by the doors overlooking the garden and possibly a small sofa too.

KillmeNow Sun 25-Jan-15 20:06:44

I would remove the wall where the sink is and rebuild in the living room just past where the table is . This gives you an L shaped living room.

I can see there is a problem with where to put the sink though. Normally it would go beneath the window at the front of the house but these windows are far too low to allow that. Maybe an island then?

Goneintohibernation Sun 25-Jan-15 20:09:39

Is it possible to knock down the kitchen wall and make the whole downstairs open plan?

ExitPursuedByABear Sun 25-Jan-15 20:15:01

Yes I'd do that. We live downstairs in a big kitchen/diner/family room and it works for us.

noddyholder Sun 25-Jan-15 20:15:42

I would flip them round and have a family room at the back leading to garden. Then make the kitchen into a 'snug' with just a corner sofa and a tv/music system nothing else for adults. You could run the units all along one wall in the bigger room and still have room for a sofa in there. If you make it all open plan then put the washing machine where the ds loo is so that you can keep noise minimal.

addictedtosugar Sun 25-Jan-15 20:44:12

I think the front room would be too small as a snug if you just swapped the rooms round (and gas, plumbing, waste may be difficult), so I think I'd take down the (assuming plasterboard, not weight baring) wall at the back of the kitchen, and put in a new wall where the living room widens out at the back of the stairs. Block the current kitchen door in, and twist the sink units to along that wall. Might make the entrance feel like a very long dark corridor tho. You'd need to think about that.

CoupdeFoudre Sun 25-Jan-15 21:59:36

CoupdeFoudre Sun 25-Jan-15 22:04:03

noddyholder Sun 25-Jan-15 22:23:11

I have put small snugs in several jobs and very successful. Most 7 x 7 corner sofas take up little room esp with low wall mounted tv great cinema room at night Your idea sounds good too. Repositioning/removing serviv=ce pipes is very easy

CoupdeFoudre Mon 26-Jan-15 06:57:32

wowfudge Mon 26-Jan-15 10:47:34

I was using a phone - the floorplan doesn't show on there at all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: