Talk

Advanced search

Paint before or after laying wooden floors?

(6 Posts)
EH1903 Sun 25-Jan-15 14:20:57

We are going to lay new solid wood flooring downstairs and have been holiding off painting till the floor is laid.

Is that the right way round to do it or should we paint first then lay the floors? Or does it not matter?

SoupDragon Sun 25-Jan-15 14:26:05

I think I'd do it before, assuming I would be mor likely to spill paint on the floor than damage the painting whilst putting the floor down.

PigletJohn Sun 25-Jan-15 14:54:27

apart from the skirtings, which really ought to be taken off before you refloor, and put back afterwards (or replaced with new)

you can prime and undercoat skirting before you fix it, to reduce the amount of floor-crawling.

Marmitelover55 Sun 25-Jan-15 18:13:49

We painted first, then floor laid, then new skirtings fixed and then painted those. Wish we had thought to prime/undercoat skirting first!

Iggly Sun 25-Jan-15 20:26:40

We ended up painting afterwards. Had to cover the floor with extra thick sheeting. It was fine in the end! As we did the painting our self we were extra careful.

Only1scoop Sun 25-Jan-15 20:27:36

Before or you will be spottle removing forever

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: