Advanced search

bugger - touched up paint disaster

(11 Posts)
lottiesatitagain Tue 06-Jan-15 16:08:35

I got my house painted three weeks ago. Over Christmas my one year old decided to draw on the walls with her new markers. As we still had the original paint I decided to paint over the offending patches. The paint has dried and it looks like a completely different colour. Is there anything I can do other then repaint the entire room? Any help greatly appreciated.

PigletJohn Tue 06-Jan-15 16:11:45

leave it a week or so to see if it changes.

It might be that the paint was not stirred enough.

Most likely you will have to paint the whole wall.

RunsWithScissors Tue 06-Jan-15 16:13:48

Well, you could paint the entire wall (not the whole room). As light hits each wall differently, it shouldn't be noticeable.

Make sure you stir the paint well too!

RunsWithScissors Tue 06-Jan-15 16:14:24

Cross posted with pigletjohn there.

roneik Tue 06-Jan-15 16:20:41

This works but only to a degree, Get a roller paint the damaged area, then roll out a foot or so dragging just enough emulsion to fade out the contrast. don't load the roller to fade use remaining paint on the roller. You want the roller to be almost dry when you then go out a bit further maybe as much as 38inches from the main damage. You want a situation whereby the extremities of your repair are getting almost no paint

PausingFlatly Tue 06-Jan-15 16:20:56

Agree with leave to dry a bit longer.

If that doesn't fix it and you don't have enough to repaint a whole wall, you could try blending the edges of the new bits by painting outwards and increasingly diluting with water as you go.

But only you can say whether you'll get away with that in your particular room with that particular colour.

lottiesatitagain Tue 06-Jan-15 16:21:05

Thanks. Will leave it for a week and see if it settles. If not, will get the painters back (sob).

lottiesatitagain Tue 06-Jan-15 16:25:11

More replies since my last one. Will try a roller next week. I used a brush - think the painters used a roller. Maybe that is contributing to the colour difference.

roneik Tue 06-Jan-15 16:31:38

Tip if you have dented something wooden even a worktop, Get a steam iron with a linen cloth under it and steam it out. For really deep worktop dings, on wood effect ,get a sheet of wet and dry fine paper (its black in color) gently take the shine off the dented area . Then buy a tube of cuprinol celluloid wood filler in the nearest match color and gently spread just enough to match surface level. Then with the wet and dry smooth it. You then apply lacquer (car touch up lacquer will do) Beech effect worktops you get that color filler. It;s as hard as a rock when it dries and if you are careful you can make an invisible almost repair

roneik Tue 06-Jan-15 16:34:29

A brush will be slower and allow more paint to sink in the wall . A roller you can achieve micro covering to zero

roneik Tue 06-Jan-15 16:39:02

The fade will be so gentle your eye will see the mass and not spot the difference as it will be gradual with the roller technique .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: