Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a locksmith?

(12 Posts)
ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 12:22:07

We have a side door in our house that we never ever use (it's in a really pointless place tbh).

I can't find the key for it which is v annoying as we're going to be putting our house on the market.

Will i need to pay for a locksmith to come and sort it or is it something that we could do ourselves? It's a dead lock type thing if that makes any difference.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

figgypuddings Tue 02-Sep-14 12:23:54

It might be cheaper for you to remove the entire bit and replace with a new lock - they are fairly reasonable from B&Q etc.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 12:26:31

That's what i was thinking but i've never really done much diy. I'll google a 'how to' video. Presume i just need a screwdriver and take the whole thing off then replace?

Graciescotland Tue 02-Sep-14 12:38:14

Absolutely, look for a name / reference so you buy the same lock otherwise it's challenging to fit. Otherwise it's a doddle.

OwlCapone Tue 02-Sep-14 12:51:47

Can you remove it without opening the door, which I assume you can't do as it's locked?

ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 13:22:24

Ah good tip Gracie I'll have a go this weekend.

Not sure Owl - we'll see!

ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 13:23:35

It's this sort of lock if that makes things any clearer.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 13:24:16

On closer inspection looks like someone has already had a go at taking out a couple of screws/screw covers.

figgypuddings Tue 02-Sep-14 19:31:26

Take all the screws out front and back, remove <technical name alert> the gubbins and take the whole lot to B&Q or Wickes and they should be able to help you get something similar.
Look out for their 'How to' information cards as these are great.

Can you tell that we lose our keys a lot?

ApocalypseNowt Tue 02-Sep-14 19:43:43

Thank you figgypuddings! That is v helpful. I'm sorry you lose your keys a lot but also a little bit glad as it meant you could help me... wink

PigletJohn Tue 02-Sep-14 22:46:34

if the door is locked shut, you will not be able to take the lock out.

Have you got an angle grinder?

locksmithlondon Wed 11-Jan-17 00:39:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now