Advanced search

Talk to me about rewiring a standard lamp please

(10 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 04-Apr-13 20:32:47

So. I've just watched a youtube film and it looks easy peasy.

After a google, I'll need one of these ???

What's the difference between that and this?


And I'll need wire, yes?

I know nothing about wire. this kind of thing?

And I need a plug, but I know what they look like grin And a 3 amp fuse, I think.

Can someone tell me if that all makes sense or if I'm going to blow the house up?

nocake Thu 04-Apr-13 21:26:24

The first two are the same. Different brands and slightly different shapes.

That cable will do the job perfectly.

Yes, use a plug grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 04-Apr-13 22:00:07

So there's no technical difference with the socket? Marvy.

Thinking about it further, and I WILL watch the video again, with sound this time!


So there's two copper bits sticking out of the cable. I get that both bits get wired into the lamp socket, one on either side, that was shown on the film.

Re the plug at the other end. Don't plugs normally have three wires going into them?

Brown is live, yes?
Blue is neutral?

Remind me, are the plugs labelled which one goes where? Haven't wired a plug in about 20 years...

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 22:15:42

the lampholders you have shown are pendant type, suitable for dangling limply from a ceiling, not suitable for a standard lamp, where it has to stand firm and erect.

I am going to guess that your standard lamp is metal, therefore it must be earthed, therefore you will need a 3-core flex and you will need a brass lampholder that attaches with some kind of nut and screw thread, and has a terminal for the earth wire to be connected. There might be a terminal on the lamp itself, near the lampholder. The screw fitting for the lampholder to the standard might be peculiar.

What's wrong with the old one?

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 22:23:12

for example this one screws onto the thread on a half-inch pole

this adaptor is used to convert from 10mm to half inch

I am concerned that you might not find a lampholder which is an exact fit.

Having assumed that your lampstand is metal, wherever the flex passes through a hole in the metal, the hole must be lined with an open grommet to prevent the metal chafing through the insulation and causing your dependents to make a premature claim on your assurance policy.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 04-Apr-13 22:26:13

Oh bugger yes, the first one does say pendant doesn't it.

Wooden lampstand.

Old one is just ancient. You can tell from the cable that it's out of the ark. Bought it all off Ebay and at first the plug was incorrectly wired, which tripped the fuses. DH fixed that and I just want to replace the lot tbh.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 04-Apr-13 22:30:55

Ah, thank you Piglet!

Would you show me the adaptor again? You've done the same link twice. Sorry. Just really want to check what I'm after in case I can't find someone helpful in the shop when I go and get it all.

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 22:37:22

if its wooden, how was the old lampholder secured?

I have some very old ones where a brass tube is inserted for the lampholder to screw on. Sometimes a nut is poked up through the base of potery/vase lamps (this is very difficult to do without the factory tools)

Any exposed metal in the stand or lampholder means it must be earthed.

PigletJohn Thu 04-Apr-13 22:39:54


scroll down

you might be able to re-use the old lampholder if it is brass and china and completely undamaged. It will need to be earthed.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Thu 04-Apr-13 22:46:33

I will take it apart tomorrow and have a look smile

thank you again for your help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: