Advanced search

Electrical / gas safety report - whose responsibility?

(16 Posts)
pinksky Wed 28-Nov-12 12:53:02

We are selling and were ready to exchange, but the buyers have just requested a gas and an electrical safety report (they feel this is standard - nothing was flagged in the survey). Before I go ahead and arrange/pay for both of these, can I just check that they should be my responsibility?
Thanks so much

guineapiglet Wed 28-Nov-12 15:11:55

Watching with interest, as we are in the process of buying and our valuation reports suggests that we get both gas and electrical reports done on the property because of its age - most surveys will flag it to some extent depending on the type, because obviously things are untested and they are covering themserlves. Id be interested to know as the vendor if you will consider such a request, as EA told us there was 'no way' our vendor would consider paying! I wonder if it can then be used as a negotiating tool if the work required is substantial.....

PolterGoose Wed 28-Nov-12 16:13:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Wed 28-Nov-12 16:28:48

if it is standard it is news to me. If you rent a property then you must have a gas safe certificate, but when you are buying it is up to the BUYER to commission any surveys or inspections they want. HIPS are long gone.

not your responsibility, and if they've just flagged this up when you thought you were ready to exchange, the 'we are being pissed about' warning light is now ON. Ask your agent what they are playing at.

nocake Wed 28-Nov-12 18:53:43

It's definately not standard and would be at the buyer's expense. Beware if they're starting to mess you around just before exchange. You may need to start playing hardball.

Metalhead Wed 28-Nov-12 19:55:46

When we bought our house earlier this year the vendors provided a gas safety certificate, but not one for the electrics; our solicitor said this was common practice.

pinksky Thu 29-Nov-12 12:34:04

Sorry to only get back to this now - thank you all very much for your responses. It's confirmed what I thought (ie, not our cost!). I have already had our gas person round this morning and coughed up for the safety check for that - thought if we do this and they cover the electric report, then that's fair...waiting to hear what their solicitor says. I would like to play hardball nocake but feel in a very vulnerable position and just don't want to annoy the buyers.

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 29-Nov-12 12:49:52

The only thing it's standard for the seller to provide is a certificate of compliance for any gas/electricity works you might have had done while you've owned the house. Otherwise (assuming you're in England or Wales - not sure about Scotland) it's a case of "buyer beware" and any safety checks required should be organised and paid for by the buyer. The survey won't have flagged any issues in that respect because surveyors aren't qualified to report on gas and electrics. They often include a standard paragraph recommending that checks be done though to cover themselves.

pinksky Thu 29-Nov-12 13:16:35

Thanks, mycat, that was my understanding but they feel strongly that it's standard for sellers to arrange this. Last time they bought was in the time of HIPs, so as special mentioned, this might have influenced them. I don't want to wrangle but have just spent £60 on the gas check and a fair amount on other random indemnities etc... it all adds up. Thanks again

mycatlikestwiglets Thu 29-Nov-12 13:44:19

They sound a bit clueless - I sold my last house during the HIPs saga and didn't have to do a gas/electric safety test! Fair enough that you've done it though - sometimes it's best to do whatever you need to get the exchange through. Good luck - hope you get it signed soon!

MousyMouse Thu 29-Nov-12 13:46:14

we ased our sellers to provide this.
they did, no problems.
just do it, or are you afraid of something?

pinksky Thu 29-Nov-12 13:56:19

No, Mousy, it's who pays, rather than having it done - it's an additional cost and if we don't have to pay it I'd rather not. We have paid for the gas safety, so if they pay the electricity that seems fair. I am worried about more delays in the process though.
Thanks for the good luck, mycat, have found all this v stressful (as most people do I guess!)

MousyMouse Thu 29-Nov-12 14:02:05

yes, to be fair if they didn't agree to pay we would have.
can you just talk to them? they are only human after all and it's in both of your interests.

gasandelec2015 Wed 12-Aug-15 14:04:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

claudiaclement Mon 19-Mar-18 13:53:50

I appreciate that this thread is nearly 6 years old but I am in a very similar position.

I am selling my elderly mums home and was wondering if you kind people can help me out - because frankly, I have pretty useless solicitors.

I accepted an offer on 22nd January which is exactly 8 weeks ago. But the buyer didn't instruct their solicitor to carry on with the process to get the sale over the line. I accepted an offer for £5K below what I originally had down as my lowest selling price. Anyway, there's been a lot of confusion about not receiving packs from solicitors and no gas and electrical safety certificates - the home buyer survey recommended these were checked as a matter of urgency. The packs (whatever they were) have been sent through and now I am in the process of organising the gas and electrical safety certificates online.

My question is how will these be sent online and doesn't the surveyor need to come and check everything out to see if its working!!! I emailed this morning and theres been no reply yet.

The company I am using is

Is the price fair or am I being ripped off!!1 I'm not worried paying for these checks because I don't want any more delays if I can hep it.

I can start a new thread if it will help others.

wowfudge Mon 19-Mar-18 14:01:27

I don't think either of these is your responsibility, but if you have accepted they are then it may be difficult to backtrack. Yes the surveys can only be carried out by someone going to the property and carrying them out. Tbh the estate agent, especially if they also do lettings, should be able to give you the details of a suitable Gas Safe registered plumber and an electrician to do the checks.

It is normal for additional items which the survey brings up to be up to the buyer to organise and pay for. If you are the party contracting the service, you need to be sure whatever report or certificate you get can be relied on by the purchasers. To be frank, if it's an older property in need of some updating you can usually be certain that the wiring will need updating/replacing therefore what will the buyers gain from the exercise? Perhaps a stick to beat you with in order to drop the purchase price?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now