Talk

Advanced search

amtico flooring v's laminate v's real slate

(12 Posts)
katz Tue 14-Jun-11 21:56:09

What's people's opinion?

I would like black slate in my kitchen, so do i go for real slate, amtico vinyl effect or laminate slate effect?

I could lay the laminate slate effect myself and would be the cheapest option, would be warmer under foot than the real thing.

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 14-Jun-11 22:12:38

Amtico is warm underfoot, hardwearing and very quiet.

katz Tue 14-Jun-11 22:14:20

thats good to hear - warm under foot is good, we curretly have badly laid ceramic tiles which are cold and very unforgiving!

Do you have amtico in your house?

PotPourri Tue 14-Jun-11 22:15:09

Real would be my ideal choice - every time

katz Tue 14-Jun-11 22:19:02

potpourri - my concern is coldness, breakages both tiles and crockery (current floor has done both) and up keep.

katz Wed 15-Jun-11 11:24:02

any more views?

HappyAsIAm Wed 15-Jun-11 13:13:37

I have amtico in my bathroom (not slate look, a wooden look). It was down when we bought the house, but I am really keen on it and would ahve it elsewhere. Warm, hardwearing and good quality.

3become4 Wed 15-Jun-11 13:22:24

I have amtico slate in my bathroom. It looks good and is very practical. Not quite the same as real but much more practical IMO.

noddyholder Wed 15-Jun-11 13:29:57

I have real slate and its fine. Not cold but this is a warm house and haven't broken any more things but don't have small children. I think real always looks better. Underfloor heating is great with it

katz Wed 15-Jun-11 14:10:56

thanks - think we will get someone in the quote for the amtico. Anyone able to recommend a company?

3become4 Wed 15-Jun-11 15:00:49

Where are you? I would recommend the firm I used in East London. Definitely get a professional either way. The second time we had it installed by the firm doing our loft conversion I wasn't nearly as happy with the end result (definitely the workmanship at fault though not the product).

katz Wed 15-Jun-11 16:02:53

Sheffield - i know John Lewis to it will have to try an dget some local recommendations. Want someone who knows what they're doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now