Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to know about grade 2 listed houses?

(7 Posts)
lobsters Fri 10-Jun-11 17:53:53

We're going to look at a house tomorrow that I think is grade 2 listed (it is definitely in a conservation area). What do we need to bear in mind? I don't think we will be looking to extend it, but it will need some work inside like a new bathroom and maybe kitched as they are dated.

MarshaBrady Fri 10-Jun-11 17:55:29

I think it's fine to do new bathroom and kitchen. I live in a Grade II listed property in a conservation area too, and others have done their bathrooms and kitchens.

The estate agent should have some information or tell you where to get it.

Good luck, they can be lovely.

lobsters Fri 10-Jun-11 18:08:31

The house looks utterly lovely. Intererstingly it doesn't say on the details that it is listed, but the estate agent mentioned it in passing. Will find out tomorrow

HarrietJones Fri 10-Jun-11 19:27:01

It depends on the listing, they are online if you do a bit of googling.

You usually need listed building consent to change stuff but our council officer will walk through the house with you to confirm what you can/can't do.

Windows & external stuff may need consent even if it's not listed

SybilBeddows Fri 10-Jun-11 20:13:47

have a look here for the listing.

lobsters Fri 10-Jun-11 20:20:01

Sybil - thanks for that. It looks like it's not listed, but it's been really interesting seeing what is listed near me

SybilBeddows Fri 10-Jun-11 20:22:19

sometimes house names are different - I saw one recently that was Neddy Hall in the listing but had been changed to Low Hall presumably because they thought Neddy Hall sounded silly and wouldn't sell!

but it may well be the estate agent getting it wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now