Talk

Advanced search

removal costs? packing service worth it?

(52 Posts)
Pisky Fri 14-Jan-11 15:08:29

Its getting closer now to agreeing a moving date so I'm starting to look into removals - what would you consider a reasonable quote for moving from 3 bed house - about 90miles?

Also have you used a packing service and would you say its worth it - we have two kids 5.5y and 8y so thinking this is the easiest option.

Thanks!

SevenAteNine Sat 30-May-15 14:40:00

I feel qualified to speak here, as I was a removals man for a couple of years.
Packing is a horrible, time consuming job. However, I would want to very carefully check who was doing it because there is a lot of reliance on casual labour and in some cases you'll not know if things go "missing". It would shock you how often removals men are just people who have been picked up in the pub the night before.
Ask people local to you for recommendations. A man and van may be a good bet if they are well established qhere you live. Avoid the very biggest moving firms too. Thay are basically unaccountable when things go wrong.

1805 Sat 30-May-15 16:36:34

Seven - thanks for this. Are there any things people do that really hack you off when you were packing for them? Or anything you like people to have ready/already done?

SevenAteNine Sat 30-May-15 17:15:50

Not really. Periodic cups of tea are nice, obviously. smile

SevenAteNine Sat 30-May-15 17:17:28

Oh, it should go without saying, but make sure the things they pack are clean. You'd be amazed how many people don't clean things.

PiratePanda Sun 31-May-15 10:41:48

Not only should you definitely use a packing service, you should get professional cleaners in to do the clean after you move your belongings out too. Your estate agent should be able to give you a recommendation of a reputable local cleaner, especially if your EA also have a rental wing. Both times we've moved recently we've done this and the recommendations have been absolutely excellent.

You should also try to find a local "man with van" if you have a lot of stuff going to the tip.

You will never regret spending the money on these things!

OliveCane Sun 31-May-15 10:56:44

Packing service is definitely definitely worth it! The stress and the arguments are not worth it. Next time I am definitely using a packing service!

HonniBee Thu 13-Aug-15 08:37:48

We have a packing service coming in a couple of weeks. How much deep cleaning and sorting did you do before they came? Wondering whether to just leave things as they are (generally tidy, but a couple of chaotic drawers in the kitchen/office, I'm also not the most diligent duster)

So how much prep did you do before the packers arrived?

CityDweller Thu 13-Aug-15 14:19:01

HonniBee Practically no prep at all. They don't give a shit if your house is clean or tidy. However, it does make sense to have a sort out to a certain extent - as they basically move through the house like locusts packing as they go, they don't stop to organise things logically. But it's not essential, as I expect you'll be sorting stuff out at the destination anyway as you unpack.

HonniBee Thu 13-Aug-15 17:15:21

Thanks Citydweller!

IfItIsntOkItIsntTheEnd Thu 13-Aug-15 18:25:02

We've just had several quotes for moving (less than 1 mile) from a 3 bed - varying from £950 to £2800 - but mostly around £1400 to £1600, including full packing service. Definitely go for packing - is seems to be "only" a few hundred £ - which compared to all the rest that moving costs I think has to be the best spent!

Roseandbee Fri 14-Aug-15 16:57:38

Ive just been getting quotes for removals including packing, 3 mile move of a medium sized 3 bed in cheshire.
Local firms quoted 930 & 1100, Pickfords came out & quoted £2100 despite before hand telling us it'd be roughly £1200.
Also is it normal for them to want to open all your cupboards to quote?

HonniBee Fri 14-Aug-15 17:21:53

All the people who quoted for me opened the cupboards- quite apologetically! smile

Roseandbee Fri 14-Aug-15 17:36:08

Thanks HonniBee, thats reassuring as only one guy did this & when the others didn't, it made me wonder!

CarpeJugulum Fri 14-Aug-15 17:41:03

Just done it. Definitely organise things beforehand - we're still finding stuff that should be together but which isn't and that is down to us!
Print labels for each room to stick on the door - then you don't end up with one confused packer mislabelling a load of boxes! Bit of an issue when unpacking!
Ensure you have cups/coffee/kettle/biscuits. I did after advice on here and our guys were so grateful! (I did cardboard disposables and they didn't have to wash them which also helped).

meadowquark Fri 14-Aug-15 18:58:21

We paid 1000 several months ago to move 2 miles in London. Packing and moving. Worth every penny!! I was by myself with 2 small children and had my mum, sister and niece over. We just went to a restaurant and relaxed and chilled out and everything was done for us.

One piece of advice - declutter and organize as much as you can beforehand. I still have lots of crap in boxes in the garage, I wish I decluttered before packing.

IgotIt Wed 11-May-16 16:22:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

IgotIt Wed 11-May-16 16:25:29

WordGetsAround Wed 11-May-16 16:25:30

Zombie!

SecretSeven Thu 12-May-16 00:13:19

In a previous life, I was a removals man. I started out as a Saturday boy and eventually became the owner of a medium sized removals firm. These are a few thoughts.

First, avoid a big firm like Pickfords or Bishops Move; they are basically unaccountable if anything goes wrong. OK, you theoretically have insurance, but try claiming on it if you find something's broken six months after you've moved house. Everyone here only has experience of it going right. Instead, try to get a recommendation for a little guy who has a well established local business. They depend on their reputation.

The problem with packers is you might not find things have been broken (or stolen) for months afterwards. And lots of them still use casual labour. I have hired people randomly from the pub in the past for a day of work. That isn't unusual. Would you really want a stranger going through all your stuff to pack it into boxes?

If you can find a reliable, established little guy then maybe packing is an option. But if it were me, I would dump as much as you can before you move, then just take a long time doing it yourself. It's ultimately the only way to make sure the job is done properly. Ask on Freecycle for proper removals boxes (everyone has them, but they're very expensive unless you buy them by the pallet), and use lots of paper. A couple of hours a day, and it will all be done in a couple of weeks.

I have no idea what a competitive price is for this sort of thing anymore, but to do your move in a day you'd typically use a 7.5 ton wagon and three men.

Hope this helps.

IgotIt Sun 12-Jun-16 10:44:56

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Sun 12-Jun-16 10:46:05

Totally worth it!

TreasureInMyTummy Mon 12-Jun-17 18:25:23

I know this is a zombie but has anyone got any recent experiences, tips, recommendations .

I will be moving from London to Liverpool and pregnant so defo looking for packing service

Kempski Fri 29-Sep-17 12:33:22

I am moving 30 miles, from a very full 3 bed semi including loft, garage & garden. The junk I have in my garage is frightening and they are trusting me to get rid of some. £1600 plus VAT. Full packing move

ElaineSmith13 Thu 11-Jan-18 14:00:01

ElaineSmith13 Thu 11-Jan-18 14:01:36

When we moved the cost was around £1200.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »