Talk

Advanced search

Will anyone knowledgeable please talk to me about 'chunking' in maths?

(12 Posts)
RubyRioja Sat 12-Jul-08 13:26:45

I know it is supposed to give them a grounding in mental maths, I know it is supposed to help them grasp concepts which are then transferable to problems solving,
but OMG it is so slow and unwieldy, my dd will be drawing her pension before she actually gets some speed up.

I have just taughter her the old fashioned way of adding units then tens, rather than adding the tens, then adding on the total units and she is faster and more accurate.

When are they supposed to stop bloody chunking and just get on with it?

WedgiesMum Sat 12-Jul-08 15:25:25

This is partitioning rather than chunking which is a division method.

How old is DD?? Schools use partitioning for addition well into KS2 as it is a very easy method for the children. The quicker ones begin to use other methods but I know that children still use the partitioning method in Y6 if they are comfortable with it.

Please, please be careful about teaching her other methods as it could get her into some real bother at school. If she uses a method that is not one of the ones school uses and they are practising a certain method and she uses another one she may have to redo all her work. Check that her teacher is ok with it because it could interfere with what they are learning at a later stage and she may then struggle.

I am a Higher Level Teaching Assistant and find that often children who have been taught the 'old fashioned' methods get in to difficulties higher up the school as their understanding of the concepts behind the methods are flawed and therefore they calculate wrongly when the calculations are more complicated.

Hope this helps!

RubyRioja Sat 12-Jul-08 16:29:38

Hm - I was concerned about that, but it takes so long she seems to get distracted during each sum!

I must admit I struggle with it a bit - despite attending the parents sessions! I cannot see the benefit of tacking tens before tackling units. Is there something I am missing.

I am fairly numerate, and so feel I should 'get' this. I feels more like a teaching method, than a method of actually getting maths done.

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:33:55

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont teach her other ways.

There is method in the madness

Let me link you to a site which is brill for helping parents

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:34:59

lookie here

hth

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:37:00

\linkhttp://www.leics.gov.uk/parentsguidance_mental_written_calculationsrevised.pdf\this is a good bit}

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:37:48

www.leics.gov.uk/parentsguidance_mental_written_calculationsrevised.pdf

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:38:07

argh

popsycal Sat 12-Jul-08 16:38:48

right this should be what you want

RubyRioja Sat 12-Jul-08 16:42:49

I'll give thm a go

RubyRioja Sat 12-Jul-08 16:43:43

Thanks

Miggsie Sat 12-Jul-08 19:52:51

is there a site to help my DH?
He sees numbers as colours, and when he looks at a sum/calculation just "knows" the answer, and he is always right.
He once got in an argument about the amount of inaccuracy in measuring the depth of a well due to the tape measure stretching under its own weight as it is getting longer.
When he was at school his maths teacher said "I cannot teach you anything"...

I don't understand "chunking" it makes my head spin and of course DH is no use as he just "sees" that the answer is yellow.
How can we ever hope to help our child when we are both maths cripples?

Thanks for the website links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now