Page 2 | Reading fluency reception- advice please

(33 Posts)
Onceuponatimethen Fri 17-Jul-20 21:28:09

As term is finishing I’m wondering what to do with reading for dd over the summer.

She’s 5 and while no teacher has heard her read since March she’s been progressing with advice on here and I’ve moved her steadily through the school reading scheme she was on when she last had a school reading book in March.

Her decoding is easily at orange level and I can see her comprehension is very good (older dd was more fluent but struggled with comprehension).

Where my reception dd still seems to struggle is fluency - I’ve posted a few times about this and she definitely is getting much better. At one stage there were huge gaps between words as she was decoding. Now she decodes almost completely in her head and the gaps between words are shorter.

If I ask her to go back and read in her story telling voice (as recommended on here) she can do it to an ok level eg if a character is sad she will do a sad voice or if there’s an exclamation mark she will do ‘excited’. She can make the sentences sound coherent then.

But she never seems to be able to read a sentence that fluently first off! Am I missing a trick here? How can I help her become more fluent?

I’m assuming best to stay on orange while her fluency is improving?

Or have I moved her on too fast and should drop her back a band to help her with fluency?

OP’s posts: |
BestZebbie Mon 20-Jul-20 09:30:20

We are at exactly the same point, and my DS also doesn't want to reread books but instead read the next adventure in the series. The best way for us to work on fluency is to get him to read a "proper book" from his collection of picture books - one that he is familiar with plot-wise but isn't word perfect on. He is also used to hearing it read out loud with the right voices and expression etc, so automatically tries to do the same.
Another thing is - don't forget silent reading! By this point silent reading should be quite possible, ask your DD to read a double page spread in a reading scheme type fact book now and again and ask her to explain what it says or ask her questions on it. I found that my DS was surprisingly much worse at reading doing this, without all the little prompts of sounds and confirmations of guesses etc, and that is more the "true" reading band as the school will assess it.

BestZebbie Mon 20-Jul-20 09:34:56

Also, buying sets of those books gets very expensive when they are reading one a night (although you can sell them on afterwards, tbf) - join Reading Chest and you can have a huge selection sent to you in the post like a library. You have to pay a subscription but it immediately pays for itself if the alternative was buying the books!

Onceuponatimethen Tue 21-Jul-20 13:53:43

Yes it gets so pricey doesn’t it?! I will look at Reading Chest and thank you! Also glad it’s not just me with his issue

Onceuponatimethen Tue 21-Jul-20 13:53:52

This issue

Norestformrz Tue 21-Jul-20 19:29:49

https://www.readingrockets.org/article/understanding-and-assessing-fluency

Onceuponatimethen Wed 22-Jul-20 10:26:28

Ohh @Norestformrz thank you!- that looks so interesting

Advertisement

Onceuponatimethen Fri 24-Jul-20 18:26:51

Listened to dd reading and she is actually now doing some of the things highlighted in the article eg voice going up for a question, sounded excited for an exclamation mark and three to four word groupings now. Think fluency is improving!!

ClashCityRocker Fri 24-Jul-20 18:59:57

Not a teacher or even a parent, but one thing we tried with my niece who struggled with fluency was very basic plays.

I am not familiar with ORT but we had some Biff, Chip and Kipper ones that were quite simple (albeit I don't know if too advanced for reception - I think she may have been a little older) but she had great fun with us reading out the other characters and her choosing one to be. It really helped with her fluency as she was so caught up in the acting and 'fun' of it all that she didn't overthink what she was trying to read, iyswim.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in