Educational Psychologist

(47 Posts)
Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 20:13:55

My youngest is of reception age and is having extreme behavioral issues. I have been through every channel and it's just taking ages to get anywhere.

Has anyone engaged a private educational psychologist to assess their child? And if so what time frame and what were the costs involved?


OP’s posts: |
Russell19 Wed 27-Nov-19 20:18:35

My experience as a teacher is that private opinions often get overlooked. Similar with private dyslexia tests etc. The school seem to want the official channels followed. Have you had a meeting with the SENCO? What is their opinion? Is there a chance they think the behavioural need isn't that extreme? (Nor saying it isn't, just wondering what they think)

Norestformrz Wed 27-Nov-19 20:29:55

I'm a SENCo and we often use an Educational Psychology consultancy service because it's much quicker (and cheaper) than waiting for the LA Ed Psych.

Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 20:44:44

Thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately it is extreme, DC attacked a member of staff one day then attacked a child.
I am very wary of the school at the moment because they have witnessed DC attacking me also yet when I inform them DC aggression and anxiety is getting worst all I get is things are fine in school. Until I notice bruises all over DC legs and I'm informed DC was placed into a sensory room during a meltdown so probably hurt themself in there. Also I was informed DC escaped several times with teachers in chase but when I asked them they have informed me whoever told me this information has fabricated it.
My senco was adamant my DC was on the spectrum but educational psychologist refused to view even after plenty of evidence was given. I won't go into the ins and outs but from very early ASD was suspected by myself but I never informed anyone of my concerns. It was senco who approached me to relay her thoughts.
I will add I have another DC who is ASD/dyspraxic/ADHD/and also has a genetic condition. My experience of eldest DC diagnosis and communication with educational psychologist was completely different, a very smooth process where I met with and discussed every aspect of my child, unfortunately that educational psychologist has moved on and the new one refuses any sort of dialogue.
I have followed everything the school have advised etc dc on Sen register, strategies in place at home, safe handling plan etc etc
SALT refer constantly to lack of eye contact and 'peculiar accent', they have offered to put forward a referral for ASD but I was happy to allow the educational psychologist to take the lead due to previous experience with the last Ed psy. So far the Ed psy has been begged to attend two 15min sessions with my DC and has declared DC is fine, yet I keep receiving SALT reports about accent/behavior/eye contact issues.
DC recently had to undergo a medical examination at school and DC would not comply, I was later called by the hospital and asked were there any special needs issue with DC, conveyed this to school the next day and was informed DC complied and was fine. But this morning got a formal letter from hospital requesting my DC attend as there has been significant change since the last examination, further relevant information could not be gathered because of what 'was discussed during the phone call'.

Sorry for the essay I'm at my wits end

OP’s posts: |
Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 20:47:26

Thank you Norestformrz
Can I ask what sort of fee they charge? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Norestformrz Wed 27-Nov-19 20:53:17

I think it's around £200 per child

Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 20:57:49

Norestformrz thank you

OP’s posts: |


changeforprivacy Wed 27-Nov-19 20:58:02

I bypassed the Ed Psych and went to the GP to ask for a CAMHS referral for my younger DC who is autistic. GP was happy to refer based on family history (sibling and myself are Autistic) and I have a huge list of examples. I don't know if that's an option? We are in Scotland and I know there are items huge differences

Latenightmarker Wed 27-Nov-19 21:00:13

I have just employed a private ed psych to assess a child at my school - we were desperate to help him and the LA one offered us an emergency appointment in February!! I found the ed psych with a Google search - I trawled through lots of local ones until I found one with a relevant specialism. He cost £475 for the day - he talked to carers, teachers and did a full learning and emotional health assessment. He then wrote us a very practical report.
Would the school be willing to do that?
If not, could you find a private one yourself that also works with schools? That might convince the school that they will write a useful report with practically achievable suggestions.

Elisheva Wed 27-Nov-19 21:01:26

Can I ask why you won’t accept the SALT offer of a referral for autism assessment?

Russell19 Wed 27-Nov-19 21:04:03

I know parents who have gone through GP too. May be an option?

changeforprivacy Wed 27-Nov-19 21:04:25

Sorry I totally missed you don't want a diagnosis referral from anyone but Ed Psych.

drspouse Wed 27-Nov-19 21:12:51

In our area ASD assessment is via the GP, I assumed it was the same most places.

Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 21:17:48

Hi Elisheva, because the process I experienced with my first DC's diagnoses, which was specifically led by the Ed psy, whom I could not fault, basically hand held all the way. I just expected it to be the same across the board and based on that experience believed the Ed psy was the best to lead.

changeforprivacy thanks, unfortunately cahms will not touch children under 7 in my area, even though the GP keeps referring us. The GP has basically told me it's either cahms or school. My eldest even though diagnosed is still waiting to be seen by a community pediatrician. It's one step forward with a diagnosis then four back from there.

Latenightmarker thank you! That's very informative. Whether DC has asd or not is not my primary concern...its why is DC displaying this behavior and what can be done to help, keep DC, staff & pupils safe, allow DC to follow and engage with curriculum. Eldest has EHCP, this has been completely ruled out by Ed psy for youngest I'm aware I can apply myself, but it would be nice if we were all singing from same song sheet. My eldest DC's Ed psy gave a brilliant report on strategies etc but my youngest DC's is just concerned that DC does not have asd and that's that no strategies other than what school has in place, but it's not working as now the escalation of violence will eventually lead to exclusion.

OP’s posts: |
Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 21:21:26

drspouse unfortunately not here, GP have either referred us back to school or Cahms/ community pediatrician.

OP’s posts: |
Bobbybobbins Wed 27-Nov-19 21:26:21

I know people who have used private Ed psych and been v helpful. Not sure on costs though. We have seen two different Ed psychs for our two DS but they both have learning difficulties. Other thing I have heard of is the complex behaviour team which I know people have been referred to in our area.

Good luck. Sounds like a very difficult situation.

drspouse Wed 27-Nov-19 21:28:36

That's what I meant - GP referral to another NHS specialist.

Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 21:29:02

Bobbybobbins thank you, I shall have a look into complex behaviour team.

OP’s posts: |
dorothysredshoes Wed 27-Nov-19 21:34:20

Try ringing SOS SEN, a charity. They were very helpful to me with advice and also gave names of private Ed psych, salt and OT.
We also used child and adolescent psychiatrist professor Patrick Bolton who works in the NHS but we went private. Give him a google and then an email. He's in London btw.
My son was diagnosed ASD via community paediatrician but most useful reports were all private and led to further diagnoses. Are you and school applying for EHCP, if not please do?

dorothysredshoes Wed 27-Nov-19 21:35:54

Also Great Ormond Street have a neuro developmental team which you can get referred to possibly by GP but not sure

Busybuzzbee Wed 27-Nov-19 21:44:23

dorothysredshoes thank you, we're up North, but I will look into SOS SEN, school are reluctant to put forward an ehcp but I am prepared to go solo.
Community pediatrician's are like gold dust here, even sleep clinic services have been discontinued but no one has informed health visitor's etc, there's no information passed between services.

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Wed 27-Nov-19 21:56:22

For autism you need to go to your gp. Camhs diagnose autism not ed psych

stucknoue Wed 27-Nov-19 21:59:21

Ps dd had her first camhs appointment at 5. But she was already diagnosed (overseas)

changeforprivacy Wed 27-Nov-19 22:01:29

Sorry I don't understand. Who diagnosed your other DC? Not the Ed Psych surely?

Pashazade Wed 27-Nov-19 22:06:25

We ended up referring privately to a clinical psych rather than an Ed psych as we went to a recommended practice and they felt this would be more useful. We got an ASD diagnosis from this along with a few other bits for good measure, ours cost around £600 but thats in the south east so hopefully it will be less up north!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in