Talk

Advanced search

Schools in Ruislip/Hillingdon

(7 Posts)
Pigletin Fri 30-Sep-16 10:30:26

Hello - I am in need of some advice from people who are familiar with the local primary schools in Ruislip. We are in catchment for Lady Bankes School and I wanted to get an opinion...the infant school is rated Outstanding while the Junior School was rated Requires Improvement during the last inspection. I am concerned the junior school really isn't very good and even with improvements which I am sure they are working on, I have some doubts as to the academic standards there.

I believe much better ones are Warrender and Newnham although as all schools are oversubscribed, I don't believe we will realistically get a place.
I have started looking at an independent school, namely St Helens and Reddiford, as alternatives, but I am not too sure we could afford private schools for 2 children (second is on the way).

Any feedback on all of the schools mentioned above would be greatly appreciated!

Pigletin Sun 02-Oct-16 11:44:14

Bump

Nobody here from Ruislip?

firawla Mon 03-Oct-16 22:41:53

I don't know anyone with kids in lady bankes or Warrener but Newnham is a very good school, especially the juniors. There's a bulge year coming up with 4 form entry so it might be worth applying just in case?! Field end school is supposed to be quite good too so also worth a look there if not too far for you? They also have 4 form so maybe enough places?
I have heard great things about St. Helens, but as you say, it is a lot of money! If Landry bankes infants is outstanding you could always start off there and then think about transferring to independent later if you weren't happy with the junior by the time year 3 comes around?
Good luck with it!

Pigletin Tue 04-Oct-16 10:37:39

Thank you so much for your input...I wasn't aware about the bulge years. I have Newnham on my list along with Warrender and the others so will try, but wanted to see what other people's impressions are. Hopefully someone else will come along to share information about Lady Bankes.

Many thanks again!

Pigletin Fri 14-Oct-16 12:56:40

Anyone else?

Paddington68 Mon 17-Oct-16 18:24:26

Holy Trinity or Bishop Winnington Ingram if you wanted a school with a faith.

Iggity Tue 18-Oct-16 18:16:29

I only know of SSW in S. Ruislip but again this is an over subscribed faith school. Nearby are Field End Rd and Deansfield. Not convinced about Deansfield despite living nearby due to its exam results etc.

FER is split into infant and junior with infant rated as outstanding but junior isn't. I have a friend with kids in the infant school and know she is trying to decide what to do about the junior side of things. I've heard good things about Newnham and also Breakspear.
To be fair, I think in general, the schools around Ruislip are good. Sacred Heart is also very good and they take 90 a year I think so you may have more of a chance of getting in if you are not catholic.

My DC had a place at St Helens but we decided not to take it when the SSW place was offered. What put me off was seeing Recption children sitting four to a desk putting in as much concentration as you would see in an A level class. I didnt get a good feel after seeing this. I'm sure kids there have fun too but it just came across as a bit 18th century.

One thing to bear in mind is that the morning traffic in Ruislip is horrendous. You may be familiar with it already but really do take it into account when selecting a school as it is awful. It will worsen with the Arla dairy development and HS2. Pick a school you can walk to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now