Advanced search

Applying to schools

(4 Posts)
honeyandmarmitesandwiches Sat 24-Sep-16 13:24:52

I have recently split up with my partner but for financial reasons I can't move just yet. When I do I would like to be nearer where I work but I'm not sure if I'll be eligible to apply for schools locally for my son who will be starting reception next September. Does anybody know the rules for how long you have to have lived somewhere to apply for schools there? Someone told me I'd need utility bills going back at least six months and since I won't be able to afford to move until probably December that's obviously not going to be possible and I'm really worried about it. I live in Bucks if that makes a difference. Can anyone advise me?

PinkyOfPie Sat 24-Sep-16 13:27:29

Have you tried your LA website they usually have quite detailed explanations of what's needed?

GraceGrape Sat 24-Sep-16 13:28:58

Closing date is usually January and you use your existing address. No need to have lived there for 6 months. We were also able to have an extension as we were moving house in January. The date for that was March and we had to supply a solicitors letter confirming exchange of contracts. Check with your LEA as they may have different arrangements.

prh47bridge Sat 24-Sep-16 15:14:59

There is no rule about how long you have to live somewhere before applying. However, you may need to provide evidence to satisfy the council that you really live at your new address and aren't simply using it to get a place at your preferred school with the intention of moving back in with your partner as soon as you've got a place. Talk to your LA about the situation and they will be able to advise you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now