Advanced search

Dyslexia/ADHD, where to start?

(4 Posts)
SchnitzelVonKrumm Fri 11-Dec-15 09:13:20

I strongly suspect my daughter may have dyslexia/dyscalculia and/or ADHD but don't know where to start with a diagnosis. People seem to advise GP for ADHD and a BDA/Dyslexia Action assessment for dyslexia but since they are often co-morbid, is there a way of assessing for both together? (Have also put this in SEN). Thanks.

mrz Fri 11-Dec-15 10:30:38

A GP can't formally diagnose ADHD but may decide to refer you to the group if specialists who can. These usually include a psychiatrist, paediatrician & occupational therapists.

I think you also need to decide what you hope to gain from a formal diagnosis.

Seryph Fri 11-Dec-15 10:43:36

An educational psychiatrist will be required for a diagnosis, an OT may be able to diagnose dyslexia/dyscalculia/dyspraxia, but I don't know about them diagnosing ADHD.
Your GP is your first port of call in this situation.

mrz Fri 11-Dec-15 10:50:55

An Ed Psych isn't qualified to formally diagnose ADHD.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: