Talk

Advanced search

Got our first choice but moved house after applying!

(10 Posts)
Kyrptonite Tue 16-Apr-13 09:28:02

We used to live 5 minutes from lovely small village school so I put that down as first choice for DS. It's not over subscribed as most parents go to the school on the estate instead of having to drive into the village.

We moved to the edge of a different county in September. It's 13 miles from the school but I forgot to update our application. I've just gone on and changed the address now but do you think they'll take his place away?

tiggytape Tue 16-Apr-13 09:32:31

If the school has fewer applicants than places then you would have got a place no matter which address you applied from.
Distance is only a tie breaker for schools that have more applicants than places and need to decide who to accept/reject fairly.

You should really have updated your application though and I am struggling a little to understand when you applied and when you moved.

Primary school applications normally open in Autumn and close in January. Did you actually submit the application whilst living at your old address or did you apply after September but use your old address on the form instead of your new one?

Kyrptonite Tue 16-Apr-13 09:35:12

I applied whilst living at our old address. We moved in a bit of a rush because a house came up and we wanted to get the DCs out of a mouldy flat.

tiggytape Tue 16-Apr-13 09:43:08

In that case you have not done anything wrong with the initial allocation but you should have informed the LA that you had moved.
There is a cut off date for applications to be received and it is where you are living on that date that counts not the date that you actually submit the application form.

If the school is undersubscribed, it won't actually have made any difference to you getting allocated a place there but now they have a change of address, it will be easy for them to double check the date you moved and they may wonder why you didn't tell them at the time. It is best to get everything clarified with them now.

titchy Tue 16-Apr-13 09:45:50

You're not seriously thinking of doing a 13 mile commute to school shock

Your timing's are a bit suss tbh - you must have applied on the day the application process opened?

Kyrptonite Tue 16-Apr-13 09:47:40

Yes applied as soon as the applications opened because I didn't want to leave it to late and forget! And the 13 mile commute I have to do anyway as I work 5 minutes away from the school and it is where DD goes to nursery.

I'll phone the council and see what they say.

madasamarchhare Tue 16-Apr-13 09:56:13

If they allow you to keep his place that's all well and good at the moment but might be worth considering how you'll manage when your daughter becomes school age. If the school becomes more popular and starts to become over subscribed she will not get in under the sibling rule. Personally I think it's a long way from home and children should be attending their local school. This kind of situation is causing lots of problems in certain parts of the country.

Kyrptonite Tue 16-Apr-13 09:59:04

I start work at 8am so would need to find a childminder willing to take DS at 7:20am to get him to school which isn't feasible where we live.

Have spoken to the council who are ok with it. The school isn't oversubscribed at all. There's only 40 pupils from Reception to year 2 and it was the school recommended by nursery for DS.

mummytime Tue 16-Apr-13 10:10:11

Madasamarchhare - actually for my DCs school any sibling gets preference, even if they live some distance away/outside the catchment. So it really depends on the admission criteria.

tiggytape Tue 16-Apr-13 10:35:44

That's good news. As the school is under subscribed, anyone from any distance will get a place so the address in this case is pretty irrelevant.

The address is only important for oversubscribed schools

For anyone else though, it is really important to update the LA of your new address. Your allocated school will be one near (or nearest) to your home not your work address and if you are applying to oversubscribed schools, your correct address is crucial (and a wrong one means your place can be taken away even after you've been offered and accepted it).

It is difficult for lots of people to find early morning and late night childcare but you are not allowed to have another address on your application form just to ensure that you get a school place near your workplace or childminder or family member who does the childcare. If you want to pick a school in an area you'd not normally get into, you'd have to pick a less popular school that always has spaces for all comers (as OP has done).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now