Talk

Advanced search

am I the only person that is pleased primaries are doing level 6 now?

(19 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:37:46

I've heard lots of people say that it's ridiculous that DCs are being pushed to level 6 but my DD is really enjoying it

previously, when they stopped at level 5 they would have just spent year 6 repeating and drilling for SATS according to parents with older dcs but she is learning new things and really enjoying it

it's not all bad surely?

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 19:41:07

Primaries have always taught level 6 to those pupils who were at that level ...it isn't new!!

sausagesandwich34 Fri 12-Oct-12 19:45:58

apologies mrz

it's my oldest child, just going on what parents of ex pupils have said

cece Fri 12-Oct-12 19:47:10

It's just the test that's new... well recycled from a decade ago.

mrz Fri 12-Oct-12 19:52:09

Yes my eldest did the level 6 test the first time around.

fraktion Fri 12-Oct-12 19:53:20

I was going to say it isn't that new. I got 666 in my Y6 sats devil child

I do think it's nice for higher a grieving pupils to get that differentiation though.

Iamnotminterested Sun 14-Oct-12 19:55:17

Stealth boast.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:03:29

no stealth, it was an obvious boast grin

however i still think it's good that primary are allowed to go beyond level 5 as while some primary schools were already teaching about this level, an awful lot weren't and there is definitely less of a feeling of teaching to the test

BertieBotts Sun 14-Oct-12 20:04:27

Humph. I'm still bitter about the fact that I was supposed to be entered for the level 6 test but because I was one of only 3 pupils in the school who were eligible they never bothered! sad

WofflingOn Sun 14-Oct-12 20:31:19

My DD got a 6 in maths and English (science N/A) and that was 2002.
She was encouraged, not pushed and so were the others in her group that did it.

Blu Sun 14-Oct-12 20:39:59

The top / 'enrichment' group at Ds's primary were doing L6 work, but didn't do the L6 test (afaik) which was ideal from my pov - I wouldn't have wanted DS to be grilled and pushed into spending any more time repeating bloody SATS tests just to get a higher official mark to get the school up the league tables.

Some schools were running after-school booster classes to try and get children through L6 SATS. Which doesn't seem to be the point.

But it's good that all chidren are taught at their level.

mrz Sun 14-Oct-12 20:43:10

and then IMHE they go off to secondary where they start at level 3 hmm

yellowvan Sun 14-Oct-12 20:43:10

YY. Taught brilliantly well at ds's school by the headteacher as well. Small group of about 15 and they all love it, friendly competition and everything.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 14-Oct-12 21:27:25

mrz that' why I'm having a really hard time picking a high school

they generally all agree that there is no such thing as a year 7 who is level 6, and the ones that go in on level 5 are generally knocked back to level 4

how demoralising for a child!

tiggytape Sun 14-Oct-12 22:31:28

I don't think they are deliberately knocked back so much as assessed again at high school. A level 5 or 6 in an exam paper after months of targeted preparation is not the same thing as being at level 5 or 6 consistently across all areas of each subject on a daily basis.

There is the argument that a level 5 is a level 5 no matter when it is awarded but a lot of secondary school teachers would say that their year 9 level 5's can often do far more than some children who are sent to them from Year 6 supposedly at the same level.

It is a shame that primaries are encouraging children to invest so much effort into focusing on pure nc levels when such things are always going to be variable and not entirely accurate. If a child feels demoralised starting secondary school as a result that is very unfair. Teachers are victims of a system that requires constant justification and proven rates of progress. It would be better if the children didn't feel quite so burdened with it all too.

Our school refused to sit any children for the level 6 papers despite quite a lot of parental pressure to do so. They felt the whole thing had gone on long enough. I strongly suspect that the current year 6 will have to sit it though because so many parents are still upset that their DC didn't start high school on a level 6 when they probably would have at least passed the maths one to achieve this.

basildonbond Sun 14-Oct-12 22:53:00

ds2's primary didn't teach to level 6 (he's just started Y8) - he allegedly stayed at level 5 in maths for the last three years of primary (poor child was so bored ...) his teacher told me they couldn't give him any harder/more interesting work as that was as high as he could go in primary so although it's obviously been possible a lot of primaries took no notice

SpringierSpaniel Mon 15-Oct-12 15:22:32

If they are offering L6 then it becomes even more of a factor to consider whether all your local secondary choices stream/set Y7 as soon as reasonable possible.

One of our potnetial choices doesn't set until Y8. Given the gap between dc1's ability in Maths for example and his class mates in general, I am factoring this into secondary comprehensive school considerations.

Feenie Mon 15-Oct-12 18:10:49

his teacher told me they couldn't give him any harder/more interesting work as that was as high as he could go in primary so although it's obviously been possible a lot of primaries took no notice

It's not really that primaries took no notice, more that the teacher was talking total bollocks. grin The statutory documents have continued to refer to level 6 teacher assessment even when tests weren't available. I do know that at least one LEA wouldn't accept a level 6 teacher assessment, however, even though this went against statutory guidelines.

APMF Mon 15-Oct-12 22:05:11

Primaries 'always' teach to level 6 ?????? The ofsted outstanding schools in my area certainly don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now