Talk

Advanced search

Year 5 maths.......any good books that will help me?

(12 Posts)
popadop Tue 18-Oct-11 19:10:29

Hi

My son is in year 5 and his maths [angles fractions etcetc] are a tad confusing me.

I have o level maths grade a but at 43 years old I think I need a refresher.

Any suggestions?

Euphemia Tue 18-Oct-11 21:18:30

Books??? What century is this?! grin

Joking - I'm 45 and in preparation for teacher training I took the Maths qualification as a refresher, despite my 'o' grade from Nineteen Oatcake being adequate for admission!

Have you looked at BBC Bitesize for KS2?

popadop Wed 19-Oct-11 07:32:43

I would rather not sit in front of the laptop 24/7.#

It is all the lingo......chunking ....what the heck is that? lol

And many many more.

Sometimes the teachers make it far more complicated than it actually is.

Euphemia Wed 19-Oct-11 07:52:46

Would the teacher lend you a copy of the textbook?

mummytime Wed 19-Oct-11 08:04:21

Have you tried "Maths for Mums and Dads"?

bigTillyMint Wed 19-Oct-11 08:10:03

Euphemia Text book???? Teachers have been planning from the ONLINE National Strategy Framework for the last few years!

Though what schools are doing now the government have shut it down is anyones guess.

popadop it's not the teachers that make it more difficult, it's the government strategies. I for one HATE the chunking and grid methods and would like to see a return to teaching the shorter methods for mutiplication and division - has totally confused my DC and most of their friends angry

eatyourveg Wed 19-Oct-11 08:34:06

I've used this website hundreds of times to refresh my maths skills so that I can tackle the dc's homework. Well worth looking at when you are stuck on a topic

Shanghaidiva Wed 19-Oct-11 09:09:20

Agree with you about chunking - how to make multiplication 100 times more complicated than it needs to be!
I had already taught ds how to do long division and multiplication before it was covered at school and, luckily, teacher was ok with him using a different method as he clearly knew what he was doing.

Ask teacher for some worksheets or book from school.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 19-Oct-11 09:17:41

We've got this and have found it very useful.

popadop Wed 19-Oct-11 09:43:23

Lots of ideas there and thank you.

Think of me tonight learning about my chunking and grids.................grin

popadop Wed 19-Oct-11 09:55:50

nutcracker........................thanks for the book link ................ I have ordered it.

Euphemia Wed 19-Oct-11 09:57:56

I'm a teacher in Scotland and we don't have the online framework you mention. We have our own school Maths plan, which draws on textbooks, online and a variety of other resources.

The OP was looking for a book to help her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now