Talk

Advanced search

How hard should spellings/keywords be?

(8 Posts)
Loopymumsy Fri 14-Oct-11 06:29:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mashabell Fri 14-Oct-11 07:07:03

On the Spellings Year 1 - thread a teacher said,

" LCP give some to read and different ones to spell, but mine find it too easy and require challenge. This Friday, their homework will consist of HFWs from Phase 5 as well as words with the GPCS /ay/ /ou/ /ie/ /ea/.
Obviously, spellings need to be differentiated as my green group will be getting VC words (at, an, as, in, it, is etc, etc)".

Definitely something worth mentioning at the parents evening, but when my daughter-in-law was in a similar position and did, not much changed. So she is now teaching her DD herself, a few at a time from the tricky most used English words given in Letters and Sounds which u can see below.

142 of the 300 most used English words listed in Letters and Sounds have tricky spellings:
animals, dragon, have, - again, great, they, - after, are, asked, can’t, fast, last, laughed, plants, -
air, bear, their, there, there’s, where, -
any, many, said, head, ready, friends, - very, every, everyone,
were, first, girl, birds, work,
been, feet, green, keep, need, queen, sea, see, sleep, three, tree, trees, even, here, these, each, eat, please, tea, key, be, he, he’s, me, she, we, we’re, people, -
it’s, live, lived, - - eyes, find, I, I’ll, I’m, I’ve, night, right, -
gone, want, wanted, was, what, before, more, your, door, -
all, called, because, saw, small, water, thought,
don’t, most, oh, only, grow, know, snow, window, boat,
do, into, to, two, who, through, you, - school, -
could, couldn’t, would, pulled, put, -
another, coming, mother, once, other, come, one, some, something, down, town,
when, which, while, why, - eggs, giant, magic, -
across, house, horse, mouse, let’s, that’s, - of, off, - Mr, Mrs, suddenly, narrator
+ much (not like hutch).

Mashabell Fri 14-Oct-11 07:12:05

The other 148 words have regular spellings, although some are more complex than others:

a, about, along, am, an, and, around, as, at, away,
baby, back, bad, bed, began, best, better, big, book, box, boy, but, by, came, can, car, cat, children, clothes, cold, cried,
dad, dark, day, did, didn’t, different, dog, duck,
end, ever, fell, fish, floppy, fly, food, for, found, fox, from, fun,
garden, gave, get, go, going, good, got, gran, grandad,
had, hard, has, hat, help, her, him, his, home, hot, how,
if, in, inside, is, it, its, jumped, just, king,
let, like, liked, little, long, look, looked, looking, looks, lots,
made, make, man, may, miss, morning, mum, must, my,
never, new, next, no, not, now,
old, on, or, our, out, over, park, place, play,
rabbit, ran, red, river, room, round, run,
sat, say, shouted, so, soon, still, stop, stopped, sun,
take, tell, than, that, the, them, then, thing, things, think, this, time, told, too, took, top,
under, up, us, use, way, well, went, will, wind, wish, with, yes.

Loopymumsy Sat 15-Oct-11 13:24:37

mrz Sat 15-Oct-11 14:21:28

Homework should reinforce what has been taught in school so if she is finding them easy she has been taught well.
Remember that scores in spelling tests rarely reflect a child's ability to use the correct spelling in their independent work which is why many schools no longer send lists of spellings home

piprabbit Sat 15-Oct-11 14:33:26

In my DDs class spellings are given out on Monday and tested on Friday.
In the meantime the teachers encourage the children to use the spellings in their work during the week. By Friday they should be really familiar with the words.

BTW this year the spelling test includes spelling the word correctly in the context of the sentence (lots of homophones) - it means that we've had lots of discussions at home about how the words are used and why, coming up with examples etc. Much better (and more interesting) than just spelling the list.

Loopymumsy Sat 15-Oct-11 15:54:38

CecilyP Sat 15-Oct-11 17:29:05

If your DD is in the fortunate position that spelling comes easily to her, why would you want to spend 10 minutes a day on it? If you have a spare 10 minutes, surely you can find something else to fill it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now