Talk

Advanced search

Morning snack

(7 Posts)
MandJane Thu 25-Aug-11 20:17:13

My son aged 6 will be starting in Year 2 soon. In year 1 they were given a snack but I will need to provide one for him now. Is this usually fruit? Can you get small apples anywhere?

DoingMyVeryBest Thu 25-Aug-11 20:56:32

Are you sure they don't get free fruit in year 2? Our little ones do. If not though, Tesco does mini apples and pears, and packs of raisins are good too and the 25g boxes count as 1 of their 5 a day. Sometimes on cold days I send mine with a cereal bar rather as I feel it fuels them in the cold. I might be wrong though!

mrz Thu 25-Aug-11 21:01:48

The school fruit and veg scheme is for reception and KS1 children

Takver Thu 25-Aug-11 21:08:45

I'd ask the school if they have any rules - we're only allowed to send fruit/veg, and not dried fruit, cereal bars etc.

Carrot sticks or celery are a nice change from apples/bananas. And of course you can cut an apple in pieces & send some in a tub if your ds won't eat a whole one (or, like dd did for ages, has wobbly front teeth!)

cat64 Thu 25-Aug-11 21:49:10

Message withdrawn

MandJane Fri 26-Aug-11 10:08:41

Oh I just assumed I have to provide the snack. I will check with the school when we go back, but will have something to hand in case they don't. Thanks everyone x

gorionine Fri 26-Aug-11 10:11:41

Here they get the free fruit still in year two.

If they do not in your school you can buy small apples pretty much everywhere I have been shopping so far. Dry fruits are really good as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now