Talk

Advanced search

9th on waiting list!

(11 Posts)
Sofiamum Tue 23-Aug-11 21:31:40

dd is 29th for our 1st choice (No chance!) and 9th for our 2nd choice. We have accepted our 3rd choice but really wanted either of the other two schools for our dd. Spoke to the LEA today and the lady said no chance of getting either before start of term. Have any of you been in a similar situation to this? Did you eventually get your preferred school? How long did it take? Thanks. x

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 24-Aug-11 09:03:40

My sister was 11th on the waiting list for her 1st choice school seven years ago. She was offered a place within a week.

Tinatinu Wed 24-Aug-11 14:52:37

We got our 6th choice. We are on 13th for our first choice and 22nd for our second choice. Why oh why do they give us choices when they simply allocate to where they desire??? I am losing all hope and faith. We moved specifically for better schools - I guess we didnt move quite close enough to the school!!

heliotrope Wed 24-Aug-11 17:14:19

We are 16th - I guess no chance, as only gone down from 8th when the places were first announced. Will you move your children if places come up in first weeks?

CustardCake Wed 24-Aug-11 17:54:20

It depends on the school. If its a school with 3 classes per year (so 90 potential places in total) you stand a much better chance of a place coming up eventually. If its a one form entry school (one reception class only) then you probably stand very little chance at all at this stage unless you are in the top 1-5 on the list at best.

Also it depends on location. In London and cities people move more frequently than they might for example in other areas and therefore you have more chance too. Again probably not at this stage but in terms of a place coming free by next year.

Tinatinu - they don't give choices, only preferences. If people living closer or with siblings expressed the same preferences as you did then you cannot have a place as they get priority. The preference system isn't about choosing a school, its used to ensure nobody gets more than one school offer and that everyone gets given the school they most prefer out of all of those that they meet the criteria for.
In reality though most people only meet the criteria for one or two schools at best. Some don't meet the criteria for any school at all (just because its your nearest school doesn't mean you live close enough to get a place for example) so get sent to a random school elsewhere.

Sofiamum Wed 24-Aug-11 18:03:40

Yes, I will move her any time during the school year if a place comes up. I know many parents are againt this but really not happy with our 3rd choice. Our 1st choice has 3 classes per year and our 2nd choice has 2 classes per year.

onebigyawn Wed 24-Aug-11 18:33:23

This will probably depress you but this time last year we were 3rd on waiting list for our 3rd choice school (4 form entry), we thought we would get a place within weeks once the kids started. Having checked a few times over the year we are now at 16th!!!!

Sofiamum Wed 24-Aug-11 18:42:50

OMG Onebigyawn, that has depressed me. Did you get any of the schools on your list? Is your son/daughter happy in the school you were given?

plinkplonk Wed 24-Aug-11 19:32:13

We were 10th at the start of the allocation process three years ago - we were down to 13th by this time in the school year. Over the past three years, we have been 1st or 2nd - but were not offered a place until Y3 when class sizes were bigger.

I certainly wouldn't risk not having a place because anyone who moves closer to the school than you will leapfrog you in the list. You may find that the third choice really works well - I think it is hard to tell which school will suit your child best because they can be quite different in school than they are at home. The school dd went to was really good for her.

onebigyawn Thu 25-Aug-11 20:53:56

Sorry meant to say 3rd for our first choice school not third duhhhhh!!!

We got offered our 2nd choice school and it has worked out well! Flexible after school club (1st choice school has a 3 year waiting list), ds loves going and has come on really well.
I still would prefer 1st choice thou as I thought the head teacher was amazing and know the enviroment would of suited his personality down to the ground.

teacherwith2kids Fri 26-Aug-11 14:56:58

DD's school year (of 60) accepted its first new child since Reception in the middle of Year 3... I don't know if it was someone who had hung on the top of the waiting list for over 3 years or someone who had moved into the area, but certainly anyone saying 'just stay on the waiting list, a place will come up eventually' would have been disappointed that year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now