Advanced search

Advise regarding reception place offerd

(7 Posts)
JJ02 Wed 10-Aug-11 13:37:00

Hi Can any body advise please. I am new to the High Wycombe area and I have been waiting for a reception place for my son for September. I applied in May when we knew we were relocating here from overseas.
Today I have recieved an offer of a place at a school that I dont consider suitable for my child. my first three choices have no available places. I knew that may happen as We had applied late. I have phoned the admissions team in bucks and the receptionist suggested listing three other choices. Has any one else done this and did they have any luck in being allocated a different school? I know I can still go on the waiting list for the schools i chose but truthfully if there are no places available now I cant see one suddenly becomming available in time for September. I dont really want to home ed him I need to work and he has allready spent two years in full time maternelle in France. Does any one have any reccomendations for good schools in the Highwycombe or Marlow area ? I hope some one can advise a verry stressed out mum Thank you

mrswoodentop Wed 10-Aug-11 13:43:14

Don't know the area myself but have family members whose children are at Haslemere and they have been very happy with it.I think at this late stage I would just ask for a complete list of those with places and pick the one you think best suits your circumstances/child.As you say you can always go on the waiting list for your preferred choice

prh47bridge Wed 10-Aug-11 16:24:04

It is likely that they have allocated a place at the nearest school with places available. You won't get a place at any school that is already full. Your best bet therefore is, as mrswoodentop says, to ask the Council for a list of schools with places and choose one.

You may be surprised about places becoming available, though. It is not uncommon for parents to move away or decide to go private without bothering to tell anyone, so schools discover at the start of term that they've got places even though they thought they were full. Have you checked where you are on the waiting lists for your preferred schools?

JJ02 Wed 10-Aug-11 17:36:08

Thank you both, I will ask for a list of schools with places, I wasnt sure if that was possible. As far as I know at the moment I am not on any waiting list as the offer letter only arrived today. I will ask about that too.
Thank you

admission Wed 10-Aug-11 19:06:09

You need to formally tell the admission office that you want to go on the waiting list for your three preferred schools as a matter of urgency because as PRH says places do frequently become available around the beginning of September.
One question I do have is when you applied in May what address did you use and had you actually moved into the property in HW then. My concern is whether you should have been considered for a school place a lot sooner than you have been and whether this has disadvantaged you. You could have applied for your three preferred schools using your address abroad and if places were available at any time from May onwards and you were the only person on the waiting list you should have been offered the place.

JJ02 Thu 11-Aug-11 09:10:56

Admission thank you, I applied in May with our French address details and the house in HW details and gave a moving date of late July I then gave them an exact moving date of 23 July. I have regularly chased the application, whilst still in France and for the past two weeks here and they had just said they were working through all applications. My older son sat the 13plus in France that I arranged directly with the grammar schools and was allocated a grammar school place before we left. The youngests application was filed at the same time as the oldests so I dont know.
I will call the Admissions team today to see if I can go onto the waiting list and also to file for another school and it would be great if they could list any schools with available places. It would be so much easier if they could do that.
Will post how I get on have a good day all.

JJ02 Sat 13-Aug-11 11:10:45

To update, I declined the place offerd originally and the very next day I recieved an email from admissions to say that they were now in a position to offer my son a place at one of my chosen schools, I recieved the offer letter this morning. I am a very lucky and happy mum, Now all I have to do is arange child care and work out how to get two kids to two completly different areas and my self to work. Geting there bit by bit Good luck to every one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now