Talk

Advanced search

Help! DS not interested in reading

(29 Posts)
BreakfastClub Sat 15-Jan-11 21:43:07

Am I over reacting?
My DS is 4 (a summer baby) and in reception at school. He enjoys going to the library and choosing books and loves to be read to. He knows all his letter sounds but dislikes it when I ask him to read by himself. He is able to read and blend some words but gets bored very easily, after a few words he just becomes frustrated.

I try to get him to read a little everyday mainly his school books which can be changed 3 times a week but recently he said he hates them and that they are boring.
So many times he will give up trying to read a word and say 'i don't know' when I know he can do it.

I am worried that if I keep bushing him it might totally put him off and that he may fall behind at school.
Is there anything I can do to get him interested and excited about reading?

fruitstick Sat 15-Jan-11 21:47:07

I posted about this last night. DS is similar.

Hates his school books and I must say I have to agree. No real stories and they do feel like quite a chore.

I try to point out words in stories we read together that he might know, words on cereal packets etc. Also try reading some words wrong and see if he notices :D

I am trying to think of it in terms of the long game. They are still very young and I think a love of stories and books will stand them in great stead in the long run than learning to read quickly.

I also think DS has had enough by the time he gets home from school. It's a long time for them and must be exhausting absorbing all that information.

Is he any better at the weekend?

maizieD Sat 15-Jan-11 21:54:57

Don't force it; he's only 4. There is no immutable law which says that everyone has to love reading and be enthused about books from an early age.

Are his school readers decodeable? Why does he get frustrated, are the words too hard for him? Is he really secure with decoding and blending?

LindyHemming Sat 15-Jan-11 21:56:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skirt Sat 15-Jan-11 21:56:32

He's only 4, let him be. Let him discover it in his own time and dont helpfully suggest books you loved as a child, just read to him again and again and let him see the pleasure you get from it.

LindyHemming Sat 15-Jan-11 21:56:59

onimolap Sat 15-Jan-11 21:59:14

Keep reading to him! It's easily the single best thing you can do. Books, food packets, postcards from Granny, anything!

BreakfastClub Sat 15-Jan-11 22:12:38

fruitstick - Thanks for the good ideas, i will try them

I agree that he does get quite tired at the end of the day and i try not to do too much during the week.
Weekends are easier. sometimes we will use work books and do some writing so it is not all just reading a book.
today he picked up one of his own books, did not try to read the words but made up his own story by describing the pictures sometimes he will read this way to his little Brother which is sweet but would be nice if he tried to read a word or two

I also agree that a love of books is more important and i am def happy that he enjoys being read to, He would be more than happy if i read to him all day.

BreakfastClub Sat 15-Jan-11 22:23:17

thanks all

i will keep reading to him as much as i can
and try to make it all more fun for him,
like the supermarket idea I am sure he will enjoy that.

some great ideas!

mackereltaitai Sat 15-Jan-11 22:26:48

picking up a book and making up his own story - FANTASTIC

he sounds like he is doing really really well tbh

maizieD Sun 16-Jan-11 00:28:09

Euphemia said:

"Reinforce the "word-attack" strategies his teacher uses: sounding out; guessing from context, etc."

If his teacher is asking for guessing words from context etc. then be very, very worried because he will not be getting good, clear consistent teaching about decoding and blending for reading and could be getting muddled.

OP, I would be grateful if you felt you could answer my questions. I strongly suspect that your ds may be just a bit young for reading yet, but there is a possibility that he might be finding it too hard, which really will turn him off reading sad. It is as well to try to find out, else you could be still waiting for him to come round to it at age 7, 9, 11, 13...

samjones Sun 16-Jan-11 00:47:20

Don't stress about it. Don't pressure him, read to him and just involve words where you can in day to day life.
My dd wasn't the slightest bit interested in reading anything until the towards the end of year 1 when she suddenly seemed to 'get' the relevance of understanding words - dvd titles etc and then there was no stopping her.

The little girl who I worried about so much wrt her literacy now devours book after book, and her literacy standard is ahead of target.

Like everything else - they all do things at different stages. Keep it fun and he'll get there when he's ready.

BreakfastClub Sun 16-Jan-11 01:09:04

samjones - Thanks, that's keeping me positive

maizieD Sun 16-Jan-11 12:49:07

OP, even if you won't directly engage with me could you please just consider the possibility that your ds might be gettting teaching which is confusing him, making the task seem difficult and potentially turning him off.

LindyHemming Sun 16-Jan-11 15:56:38

LindyHemming Sun 16-Jan-11 15:57:44

CarGirl Sun 16-Jan-11 16:07:01

My middle 2 dds didn't learn to read until the end of year 1, no big deal! I left it up to the school to teach them blending etc and once they were actually interested and the penny had started to drop we did more reading at home.

My youngest is now interested at the beginning of year 1 so I am a bit shock that we now have to do her school books with her!

I would just read him stories and ask him what he likes about it, what he thinks may happen, to retell the story etc. It is more important that your dc understand the story they hear than they learn to read at this sort of age.

mellicauli Sun 16-Jan-11 16:08:15

My son liked the I Can Read series - Batman and Spiderman. He especially liked the Dark Knight. It is kind of dark. I think he felt like he was reading something important. Rather than Biff and Chip and their daft dog.

mrz Sun 16-Jan-11 16:19:08

I worry when I hear teachers say "guess"
If a child can't read could perhaps they need to be taught before they are expected to read a book where it appears?

LindyHemming Sun 16-Jan-11 17:52:50

mrz Sun 16-Jan-11 18:00:55

No I would advocate teaching a child to read not to guess

samels001 Sun 16-Jan-11 18:08:27

Hi, coming to this late, but I was in exactly your position last year - summer born boy in a class of mostly older girls already reading. DS didn't get phonics or blending AT ALL although he had done bits with his nursery. We kept reading to DS - he was always allowed to choose what books he wanted and we would try with the school reading book. I did try the Ruth Miskin books - DS found them very funny and I think that helped having "non-school" books that he could recognise words in. Again as other posters have said we tried reading anything which with my DS was mostly car related items!! DS is now Yr 1 and suddenly since Christmas his letter recognition is really good, he still doesn't quite get blending and he is now reading books with sentence of 5 words! We are really pleased. He possibly will start Reading Recovery in May. It is so stressful but keeping the love of stories going is probably key.

LindyHemming Sun 16-Jan-11 18:08:42

maizieD Sun 16-Jan-11 18:37:39

Euphemia,

you said
""The boy could not see the book he wanted," where the child gets stuck on the word "could". Can't sound it out, so my strategy would be to advise the child to miss it out, try to read to the end of the sentence, then go back and see if s/he can figure out the tricky word. I would ask what sound the word starts with, and ask the child to have a guess. If reading is being backed up by learning sight vocab, the child will, in time, learn to recognise such tricky words, and on the meantime guessing from context gives them something else to try. It also gives the teacher an assessment of the child's reading vocab level, and his/her understanding of grammar."

This is pure National Literacy Strategy 'searchlights' stuff which was abandoned officially 3 years ago because it wasn't teaching children to read competently. It is also the reason that the Y7 struggling readers who I have to work with use guessing as their default strategy. It's easier and requires no intellectual input whatsoever on their part.

Were you trained to teach reading like this?
Have you ever heard of the Rose Report and the Simple View of Reading?

LindyHemming Sun 16-Jan-11 18:42:56

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: