Talk

Advanced search

If you've seen my other post from yesterday - my list with school may be getting longer!!!

(8 Posts)
qualitystreetrosescelebrations Sun 28-Nov-10 15:09:22

I have just opened up my ds' bookbag to do the weekend homework. As he is only yr1 this normally consists of one A4 printed worksheet, and 5 key words to learn.

In there is a list of all yr1/2 key words with a note on the bottom, saying that well done my son has learnt all of yr1/2 key words.

Attached to this is a second sheet with all yr3/4 key words, with a note on the bottom, saying here are the yr3/4 key words for me to practise with him if I want but he won't be tested on them at school at all.

Does anyone else interprut this to mean that my ds at the grand age of 5 - has now finished all spelling tests?!?! And also finds this utterly ridiculous?

rainbowinthesky Sun 28-Nov-10 15:11:04

No value to spelling tests anyway so I'd be pleased.

mrz Sun 28-Nov-10 15:18:12

and utterly pointless

a short rant about spellings

c0rns1lk Sun 28-Nov-10 15:21:33

great link mrz

Feenie Sun 28-Nov-10 15:39:49

Fantastic rant grin

Deelle Sun 28-Nov-10 16:36:01

Although spelling tests arent particularly great surely there is another point here.
If your ds has covered all the words for y1/2 doesnt that mean that the teacher should stretch him further with y3/4 words - not have the attitude that as he has done well he can now sit back and wait for the other children to catch up!!!

mrz Sun 28-Nov-10 16:42:13

The actual point is if the teacher was to retest on the Y1/2 words after Christmas he will only remember a fraction of them ...

Ormirian Sun 28-Nov-10 16:45:34

No. it's not fucking ridiculous. He has learned all the words he is supposed to learn in Yr1. Hurrah! Be pleased. Now he can do something interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now