Talk

Advanced search

Cash

(19 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Tue 05-Jun-18 16:05:00

Thinking on cyber attacks and we'd be seriously screwed if banks and online transfers etc went down.

Anyone keep a stash of cash??

silverysky Tue 05-Jun-18 16:14:16

Would cash mean anything if banks 'went down'? Wouldn't you be better off with things to barter?

FusionChefGeoff Tue 05-Jun-18 16:17:19

See that's exactly the sort of thinking I was hoping to find on my first foray into the Preppers board!!

Good point.

I guess I was more thinking if cyber attacks either crashed the whole internet (is that even possible??) and although banks are theoretically still functioning, I can't get to my money.

silverysky Tue 05-Jun-18 16:21:20

Most banks have regular backs ups and do regular disaster recovery. I personally keep some cash available anyway. I reckon if everything seriously went down the government would probably have to ration resources.

AuntieStella Tue 05-Jun-18 16:26:41

I would certainly aim to have enough cash to see me through a few days. How much difference it would make in some scenarios is moot.

But enough to cover food and other essentials during an interruption to banking and card payments (say 3-4 days worth).

Also, I still have a cheque book.

FusionChefGeoff Tue 05-Jun-18 18:56:45

Mmm yes I think we probably do need a stash somewhere then - do you think the loft would be a good place to deter any would be burglars?? That's obviously the downside of holding large amounts of cash in your house..

silverysky Tue 05-Jun-18 19:14:53

You don't want too big a stash, really. Otherwise when notes/coins are discontinued and out of date you have to take them all to be changed.

FusionChefGeoff Wed 06-Jun-18 11:03:41

Another good point! Will use the new £10 then as surely they've got a bit of life left in them yet!

BiddyPop Wed 06-Jun-18 12:54:57

I built up a stash of cash when the recession hit in 2007 or so - there seemed a serious danger of banks collapsing at short notice here at the time. So I got in the habit of keeping enough on hand to last at least a fortnight (doing large grocery shops and filling petrol tank etc) as I reckoned they would have to sort it out within that period of time.

I don't anymore. I generally have some in my wallet all the time, in case machines don't work. But I don't keep a large amount on hand. It seems more trouble than it's worth (in terms of people targeting us if we were seen to have it) - I prefer to make sure we have food and other supplies on hand instead.

InfiniteSheldon Wed 13-Jun-18 19:14:36

We don't hold much cash but plenty to barter with: wine, whiskey, candles, matches, batteries solar chargers and lights.

flopsyrabbit1 Sun 17-Jun-18 15:23:10

yes i am but always have had some cash that i can access straight away

auntiebasil Sun 17-Jun-18 19:44:41

I don't stash cash but have a couple of emergency notes - no more than a couple of 20s in my person at all times.
Focusing more on barter.

ElyElyOy Wed 11-Jul-18 19:47:40

I save the new £5 notes and have them stashed about in odd locations through the house (I think if the banks crashed theft would be an issue and rather lose £5/£10 on a trip to the shop than £20 notes). Plus we have some jewellery, pain meds, and alcohol for if the cash system failed.

I always wear an expensive piece of jewellery that has no sentimental value for if I’m ever out and in a sticky spot: gold has value all over the world, cash is quite useless a lot of the time.

bellinisurge Wed 11-Jul-18 20:05:59

Nice idea about jewellery. I tried to remove my not expensive but very high sentimental value wedding and engagement ring. Couldn't get it off confused. I need to practise with soap or whatever.

PPPPickup Sat 14-Jul-18 15:49:38

I have not considered jewellery.

Candles and matches seem sensible bartering stock.

I have enough cash for a bit of petrol and some food.

I don't see the point in holding too much of anything, it will be stolen.

Sadik Sat 14-Jul-18 15:58:11

I think there are two scenarios where cash would be useful.

The most likely is if one bank - yours - goes down due to cyber attack or botched tech upgrade & you can't use your card / draw money out etc. At which point if you can afford to have it tucked away a couple of hundred quid for shopping / basic needs until they sort it out would be very helpful. (I also live in a town with only one cash machine, so often raid my emergency stash for short term use if it breaks or runs out of cash!)

The other - hopefully less likely - is if there's a major financial crisis & the government decides to have an enforced 'bank holiday' & close the banks / freeze accounts for a few days (generally to stop people taking all their money out of the banks).

ziggiestardust Sun 22-Jul-18 13:19:18

I think stockpiling cash is very dangerous. I read one poster on this board saying she’d over £1000 in a safe.

The thing is; prepping is a form of insurance. The likelihood is it’ll never actually happen; at least not to the severity that people on here are prepping for.

The most cash I would keep in the house would be £100.

ElyElyOy Sun 22-Jul-18 18:49:28

I think the level of money is really dependent on the people though: my ex had his own business and regularly had £5-£10k in cash in his home. Not for prepping purposes, just because he dealt in cash and to him it didn’t seem excessive.

We have probably £500 in the house, but we pay for a lot of things in cash because we find it helps us manage money better. For actual “prepping purposes” I try and keep £50 in £5 and £50 in £10. My husband liked to gamble so he keeps a few £100 about for that, although if he has a big event he would easily have £500-£1000 (more if he wins!).

Snugglepumpkin Mon 23-Jul-18 01:12:00

I keep about £100 in small notes & about a tenner in random change.
For me it's enough to cover any random shopping I might do locally if the banks mess up & cards don't work (again), or to get a cab home from anywhere I might be if I lost my purse etc... & get shopping while I wait to get my new card issued (again)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: