Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BLW for prem babies?

(3 Posts)
bunnybunyip Mon 10-Aug-09 09:45:57

Hello all
DS was born at 32+4/40 and is now 3 months corrected and nearing 5 months uncorrected age. In a month or so I think we will have to start weaning (no signs of readiness yet so I am not in any rush but I think they advise to go on uncorrected age). I would love to try baby led weaning but not sure if development will have caught up enough to try finger foods; anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks

CMOTdibbler Mon 10-Aug-09 09:51:20

Ds was born at 35+0, and I did BLW at 26 weeks uncorrected with no problems at all.

There are a few people with more prem babies who have done BLW too - Aitch's DD2 was born at 33 weeks

Bilbomum Mon 10-Aug-09 13:58:05

DD was born at 30 weeks but with no other medical problems. I had a big problem with the weaning advice, I thought uncorrected age seemed just too early for her to wean. I delayed it slightly and started off very slowly (ds has big allergy problems so I was very wary of introducing things too early).

She was fully breastfed and I always intended to do BLW but in practice I just didn't feel she could get enough down her. Admittedly probably more my paranoia about her weight rather than actual fact! I did introduce finger food from the beginning though and she coped absolutely fine with it.

She's now 14 months old,will eat absolutely anything and has a huge appetite but still tiny, I think it's just the way she was made!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now