Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Painkillers for afterpains.... AND are they really that bad with number 3 onwards?

(19 Posts)
ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Mon 26-Oct-09 20:11:51

Hospital gave me nothing with DC2, now I'm expecting No3 and am already dreading the afterpains.

Is there something strong I can take which is suitable whilst breastfeeding?

NotAnOnlyChild Mon 26-Oct-09 20:16:58

Just had DC2, no one told me about afterpains, I thought I had some sort of stomach bug! I told the nurse in hospital and she then informed me about afterpains and gave me co-codamol. That was good. Get them to give you some to take home if you can. Otherwise afterwards I took ibuprofen and paracetomol together (which is safe). They didn't last too long but the early ones felt like the bloody contractions! Good luck

DwayneDibbley Mon 26-Oct-09 20:18:32

Message withdrawn

smackapacka Mon 26-Oct-09 20:19:24

Co-Codamol night make you a bit <ahem> bunged up so ask for advice! No point substituting one pain for another!

napa Mon 26-Oct-09 20:50:03

if you are breastfeeding you should not take ibuprofen, and afterpains may get worse while you feed but paracetamol or cocodamol or codydramol are ok (though not together as they all contain paracetamol!) Good luck

CarGirl Mon 26-Oct-09 20:51:35

No2 was the most painful by far, nos 3 & 4 really weren't as bad (though they were a little bit smaller babies).

I refused to leave hospital without a pescription of voltoral though - wonderful stuff.

sanfairyann Mon 26-Oct-09 20:55:36

don't know whether no 3 was more painful or not cos I didn't take any chances and necked the paracetamol asap after drug free delivery of dd grin

shallishanti Mon 26-Oct-09 20:59:03

ime, pains worse with each successive baby.
and bfing starts them off -it's the oxytocin. Best thing is to take paracetomol about 15 mins before each feed
[hollow laughter]
as if you can see into the future!
But have one handy and take it as soon as you start to feed.
I don't remember it going on for too long though- a day or so?

CarGirl Mon 26-Oct-09 21:05:04

a day or so - farkin 2 weeks I was in AGONY for!!!

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Mon 26-Oct-09 21:09:02

Voltarol - is that the suppository? Is it OK for breastfeeding and can you get it over the counter or do I need to see my GP first?

I don't recall having any afterpains with DC1, but I remember breastfeeding DD the night I got home from hospital and thinking I had something seriously wrong, they lasted for about 3 days IIRC, meant to last longer with each child I think.

CarGirl Mon 26-Oct-09 21:20:53

voltarol is pescription only and is anti spasmodic I think. I was given the okay to use it whilst breastfeeding.

All I can think is that there was something not right after I had dc2 because I really was very unwell, heavily heavily bleeding and in agony with afterpains for at least 2 weeks - something to do with not being allowed to empty my bladder for 5 hours after delivery I suspect angry

taokiddy Mon 26-Oct-09 21:31:09

I agree with CarGirl - no. 2 was the worst. 3 and 4 still bad but definitely no worse. Midwife said to me with no. 2 "Oh you must be one of those women that's back in her jeans a week later". I'm not, but would be nice to think there's gain with sooo much pain!

Anya4 Mon 26-Oct-09 22:21:02

Don't remember afterpains with any of my three - although ask me again in March (no 4) and I'll probably have a nasty reminder !!

Spidermama Mon 26-Oct-09 22:22:42

Mine got worse with each baby and number 4 was really sore. I had a leccy blanket type of thing from the midwives which I strapped on and I took pain killers even though I had nothing for any of the births.

Clary Mon 26-Oct-09 22:25:40

OH gosh yes mine were hideous with DS2 (no 3 DC).

In fact I recall sayign to DH that it was worse than labour hmm that can't be right can it?

Only lasted a day or so tho IIRC. YY to cocodamol.

Positive note to this: afterpain is uterus contracting so hey, tummy will vanish grin

happyjules Mon 26-Oct-09 22:42:13

Two drug free pain free waterbirths, but after pains gimmmeeee drugs. With dd2 only a few hours old had to leg it to the ensuite to barf after my first proper meal in two days blush

lou031205 Mon 26-Oct-09 23:02:55

Ibuprofen is fine during breastfeeding.

Voltarol is the trade name for Diclofenac, which is a NSAID (anti-inflammatory). Ibuprofen is also a NSAID, but is slightly weaker than Diclofenac (voltarol).

After pains with DD2 were bad. With DD3 they were viscious.

cece Mon 26-Oct-09 23:05:29

The hospital sent me home with some after DC3 and yes they were worse. Sorry but can't remember what they gave me!

lou33 Mon 26-Oct-09 23:05:41

omg afterpains, they were worse after each child, it felt like i was giving birth again with number 4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now