Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please come and talk to me about pre-eclampsia and homeopathy.

(31 Posts)
corblimeymadam Thu 08-Oct-09 17:05:37

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Thu 08-Oct-09 17:49:53

Message withdrawn

3littlefrogs Thu 08-Oct-09 17:54:03

You have been given the right advice.

Other things to look out for: Headache, any sort of visual disturbance, epigastric pain - (pain below your breast bone or under ribs), any puffyness of your face/around eyes.

If you get any of these you should phone the hospital, otherwise see GP or midwife tomorrow for BP check and urine test.

HTH

puffylovett Fri 09-Oct-09 09:21:07

I'm not sure if you'll find this useful. But 2 weeks ago my diastolic was 105, I had 2+ protein and was suffering headaches. I realised I was posibly developing pre eclampsia and basically started necking everything I could think of nutritionally to prevent it / treat it. (I'm a naturopath who has been decidedly lax with supplements through this pregnancy !) I was desperate to avoid induction.
The things I took were -
High dose fish oil (proven to treat hypertension), high dose Calcium / magnesium (magnesium sulfate is used in labour to treat pre-ec) and high dose B vitamins for homocysteine levels. The only thing I didn't take was Vit E which I didn't have any off.

Anyway the protein, lethargy and headaches disappeared and I got my BP down to a stable diastolic of 95 (but there was a hefty dose of white coat syndrome in there too!) so I avoided inductin and DS2 was born healthy and huge last week.

I hope that helps - just some ideas for you !

morningpaper Fri 09-Oct-09 09:23:25

Go to your GP today please.

ninedragons Fri 09-Oct-09 09:23:42

Homeopathy is bullshit. Go to your GP if you have ANY concerns at all.

ellipsis Fri 09-Oct-09 09:27:25

Go to your GP. Placebos won't help you here.

twirlymum Fri 09-Oct-09 09:34:13

Ditto. See the GP today.

NewPenName Fri 09-Oct-09 09:35:57

yep, homeopathy expensive bullshit. See yr GP who should actually have a medical qualification...Hope it gets sorted anyway.

bunnybunyip Fri 09-Oct-09 09:36:44

See your GP. I had preeclampsia. Not something to mess around with.

differentnameforthis Fri 09-Oct-09 09:48:37

You cannot prevent Pre Eclampsia with anything, much less homoeopathy!

If you could, do you not think that many many women wouldn't get it again in subsequent pregnancies? I certainly would have taken all I could if I knew that I wouldn't get it again!

You should call your care team now as the worry is when the BP goes over 90 (the lower number, that is). Your BP is very high. Protein means your kidney is failing to do it's job properly & therefore not clearing toxins fromyour body.

Also look out for

A headache that doesn't go away with painkillers
Visual disturbances
Epigastric pain (feels like heartburn, only nothing shifts it)
Swelling of the face
Nausea

And it seems that taking mag sulfate is not a wise thing to do! Here

Looks like it is used to halt pre term labour, not pre eclampsia! The only cure for PE is to deleiver baby!

See, ninedragons is right! "Magnesium sulphate is sometimes used as a tocolytic medicine to slow uterine contractions during preterm labor. But studies show it does not stop preterm labor and it may cause complications for both mother and baby"

differentnameforthis Fri 09-Oct-09 09:50:34

Mag sulphate PREVENTS Pre Eclampsia becoming Eclampsia....very different to puffy's idea that it treats PE!

differentnameforthis Fri 09-Oct-09 09:52:34

Sorry, missed link in that past post

Here

corblimeymadam Fri 09-Oct-09 12:26:18

Message withdrawn

ellipsis Fri 09-Oct-09 12:28:52

Glad you're seeing your GP. Hope all is well.

differentnameforthis Fri 09-Oct-09 12:42:04

Glad you are seeing GP. Hope all is OK.

Fair enough re your opinions of homoeopathy, but she still should have sent you to your care team straight away in light of your bp.

ninedragons Sat 10-Oct-09 04:25:27

Glad you're seeing your GP.

If I were you, I'd find a different homeopath. All very well to say "speak to your GP if your mild headache doesn't improve" but pre-eclampsia is deadly serious and needs to be addressed by a qualified medical practitioner straight away. You need to find a homeopath who knows the difference between serious conditions and trivial ones.

bruxeur Sat 10-Oct-09 04:32:44

He'll be the one wearing a hat with a phoenix feather in it and riding a unicorn, btw.

ninedragons Sat 10-Oct-09 06:47:21

Well, yes, as I said below, homeopathy is clearly bullshit, but the OP doesn't believe so and is unlikely to stop going.

So she needs to find one who knows the limits of his or her quackery, rather than one who labours under the delusion that they have any medical knowledge or skill at all.

corblimeymadam Sat 10-Oct-09 07:05:02

Message withdrawn

DianaTibble Sat 10-Oct-09 19:33:14

As a midwife and homeopath ...I would have sent you straight to the doctor with the appropriate remedy....high BP, oedema, (swelling water retention) and protein in your wee...is sit up and take notice time!!!

You may be aware that there are GP's that are also fully trained homeopaths...there are several in the sourrounding area....does that make those who think homeopathy is rubbish...assume that the GP's concerned are also rubbish?....There are many homeopaths like me that are also medically well equipped I have been a nurse, midwife for many years...there are very sound homeopaths and also not so sound, there are several bodies that register homeopaths that are trained to a high standard with CPD as a requirement. I belong to SOH, there are others I have several doctors and their families including children as my patients...there is a time and a place for homeopathy, alopathic medicine,surgery, acupuncture and oseopathy...Good Luck

ninedragons Sun 11-Oct-09 07:37:00

Yeah, actually, it does. I wouldn't go to a GP who advertised him or herself as a qualified homeopath any more than I would go to one who advertised himself as a shaman or a witch doctor.

I like my medicine evidence-based and peer-reviewed.

corblimeymadam Sun 11-Oct-09 08:15:55

Message withdrawn

differentnameforthis Sun 11-Oct-09 08:45:52

Thing is, bb in 24 PE can escalate seriously!

My friend didn't have any symptoms until 38 weeks, one day she has pre pre-eclampsia that night she was full on fitting & her family nearly lost her.

differentnameforthis Sun 11-Oct-09 08:49:48

And actually, she shouldn't have said GP, she should have referred you straight away to your local labour ward, with a bp that high. By the time you saw your dr & gotten to the hosp, things could have progressed seriously!

So not only does your dr need some refreshers, but your quack homeopath does too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now