Hindwater leak..advice needed(29 Posts)
im hoping one of the doulas are around to help me get this clear in my own head. Im 37+2 and this morning I had a trickle of waters, no it ran out but wasnt full on breaking IYKWIM.
Put my hands under and caught loads which i soaked into a tissue so i could check the smell colour etc. im positive its my waters, smells sweet very slightly pink. def not wee.
i am planning a homebirth and have independant midwife. rang her and she advised that the NICE guidelines used to recommend induction after 95 hours but now its 48. she advised no penetraction, no baths swimming etc but that she will do a group b strep test tomorrow if i want it.
i dont want an induction, and im worried if i test positive for group b, then home birth is off etc. I want to just ignore the leak and wait it out but from what im reading and discussed with my midwife, as time ticks on i'm gonna be pressed to take antibiotics or have induction.
can someone help me work out whats my best course of action my head is scrambled!
penetration rather...i dont know what pentraction is!!!!
bumping for you DW
you should maybe have put this in childbirth? although the lovely doulas should see it here.
yorky has tested GBS+ and is still having a home birth.
and try to stay calm
<smoothes DWs hair and makes some chamomile tea>
thanks daisy, am excited that this baby may be on its way but i want it at home!!!
<looks longingly at inflated birthpool>
you can try bouncing on a birthing/exercise ball and nipple stimulation. the nipple stim needs to be done lots though.....15 mins every hour i think and I'm sure I read somewhere that it can cause quite strong contractions.
Also, although penetration is out, apparently the prostaglandins in semen are more readily absorbed through the gut.....so if you feel up to , I'm sure DH won't turn you down.
there's always hot curries and pineapples as well....or cod liver oil if you are feeling very brave.
Other more natural remedies are reflexology or acupuncture if you can get to see someone tomorrow
yes, i think thats my best bet, try natural induction methods before the hospital can start getting twitchy about their guidelines.
loving your face for offerings to dh!!!
shameless bump in case any doulas are around. am i better to check for gbs or remain oblivious and stick to my original plans....
My waters broke in dribs and drabs. I rang the maternity unit to check and, as I wasn't having contractions, they wanted me to go in and have a trace to make sure baby was okay. Got to the hospital at 10.30pmish, no bed til 11.30pmish. Was on a trace for an hour as baby had gone to sleep. Trace showed frequent contractions but I couldn't feel a thing. Was told to come back by Tuesday morning if hadn't gone into labour ( was Saturday night ) and was also told I couldn't deliver in the birthing suite if I went longer than 24hours before going into labour. The midwife took a routine swab and sent me home.
Got home 2amish. First painful contraction 2.30am, back in hospital 3.30am , fully dilated by 6am but long pushing stage so baby not born til 10.20am. Swab came back as GBS+ on the Tuesday. ( Was at home by then )I was given antibiotics and baby was checked. DS is now 23wks and absolutely perfect.
I don't know if it was my hindwaters going or all of it but it came in trickles and soaked several maternity pads over the course of the evening.
With regards to having the GBS test, if you go into labour tonight or soon then you won't get the results back anyway so not sure what to advise. I think I have heard to women having homebirths with GBS if their midwives are aware. Could be wrong though. Good luck!
Oh and by the way, I spent the majority of my labour in the birthing pool which was lovely - until the mean midwives got me out because the warm water was sending me to sleep!
the guidelines say 24 hours, but you can monitor yourself for any signs of infection and if it is your hindwaters, rather than forewaters, teh risk of infection is not hte same, as the leak will reseal
get busy with the nipple stim ,with a breast pump if you have one.. if the GBS test you are being offered is teh HVS swab then you need to know it is not terribly accurate
at the end of the day , it is your choice whetehr you go by the guidelines or wait a little longer
my pad is dry now so hard to imagine anything licking off but ive done some searches and can see lots of people went into labour in due course. oh fingers crossed that happens to me.
thanks ebb thats really positive, just feel really excited that something is happened and the whole NICe guidelines thing is overshadowing it for me really. my baby has gone very quiet this afternoon. can feel it shuffling but its not dancing like usual. Did your DS get subdued as labour started? Did you have antibiotics if you showed gbs+?
congrats by the way very that you have gorgeous ds to cuddle.... i want mineeeeeeeee!!!!
kicking off not licking...
oh lulumama has arrived you should charge MN a fee as a resident doula lulu.
will nipple stim work if i have nothing coming out/ i tried hand expressing in the shower this morning and still nothing? mind you after i got out i got this leak ha ha.
i am being offered a swab yes. i'd rather wait a little longer, actually i'd rather get this baby out myself, so nipple stim, raspberry leaf, evening primrose, birth ball...im not allowed the sex and i dont fancy ingesting the required products ta!
oh to go into labour in the middle of the night would be bloody brilliant!
nipple stim will produce oxytocin which is the natural version of the syntocinon you are given when induced to stimulate ctx... so does not matter if nothing leaks out... have a look at gentlebirth.org too
try lying down on your left side, in a dark room, with a cnadle or two lit, relax and connect to and talk to your baby..
at something happening for you
Love MamaG (39+3 and nothing )
Well the bay was sleeping when I had the trace and that showed I was having frequent contractions. Didn't feel him move at all when the contractions got painful but I guess that must be normal. Midwives checked his heartbeat with every contraction once I had been pushing for a couple of hours. He'd been 'knocking at the door' so to speak for ages, I just didn't have the strength ( or fanjo flexibility!!! ) to push him out. Had an episiotomy and he shot out in one push.
The midwife who came to our home and said results had come back with me being GBS+ said 2 women at the surgery had had the same thing. One Doctor did nothing and my Doctor gave me angtibiotics so guess it all depends on your GP / midwife. I was very stressed about the GBS as I had read about it and asked my midwife pre labour but as they say, one day you could be GBS- and the next day be + so it's tricky.
Oh and thanks for your congrats on my adorable son. He's currently wriggling round the floor and I keep having to retrieve him from underneath the coffee table. And he slept til 7am this morning despite clocks going back. He's 23wks today. [proud mummy emoticon]
lol at mamaG following people round the childbirth and pregnancy boards
he/she will come when they are good and ready love
Mine started leaking the day before dd was born. Went to be monitored for an hour and was booked for an induction 3 days later if nothing had happened although they did say most labours start within 24 hours of your waters going.
The next morning I woke with mild contractions and dd was born later that day.
Go for a long walk, eat some pineapple and relax. Good luck x
went for long walk last night, had raspberry leaf, had evening primrose, bounced on the ball and today nothing, nada. argh!
<<considers breaking own waters with a knitting needle>>
<<remembers that there are no knitting needles in house>>
<<eats chocolate sulkily>>
mamag crochet hook not needle! i'll focus on you having yours before i get anymore goings on as you've waited longer!
<sends breaky water vibes>
I had hind waters go and 2 hours later my waters broke when we arrived at hospital as I stood up getting out of the car.
From my one experience of this, waters will hopefully go by themselves soon.
my hindwaters went with dd, kept going to the mw to get tested but baby's head kept blocking it up again! When they eventually realised that they had broken and I wasn't making up - I was only 37+5 - I had to go straight to L+D to be induced, as they wouldn't take any chances on infection.
Was induced at 4pm, told that nothing would happen for at least 48 hours, but by midnight I was in full blown labour...dd born at about 7am next morning.
Please be careful and monitor your leakage! I wasn't having any contractions at all
(other than usual BH) and didn't think I was in labour but they wouldn't let me go home even to get my bag! I rememebr saying, 'oh, I'm not actually ready to have the baby today...could I just nip home and come back tomorrow...?' , to which I was laughed out of the room....
Join the discussion
Please login first.