Talk

Advanced search

Which fetal heart monitor/doppler shall i buy?

(10 Posts)
nobodysfool Wed 06-Aug-08 17:10:10

I have borrowed a friends "summer" heart monitor and am finding it really comforting and would like to buy my own.
What one would you recommend or avoid?
TIA.

tinkisagracefulshamu Wed 06-Aug-08 18:04:43

have read bad revies for the summer one i have the angelsounds doppler it is fab has great reviews and lots of them on amazon 2.

nobodysfool Wed 06-Aug-08 18:40:31

Thanks for the advice-will have a look at the angelsouds one.
At what stage of pregnancy can you use it?And, what do you hear (heartbeat,kicking etc)?

nobodysfool Wed 06-Aug-08 20:35:59

anymore?

Mummyfor3 Wed 06-Aug-08 21:47:45

Before you invest into a fetal heart sound doppler may I suggest you consider the downsides of having one at you disposition at all times? Sorry, I do not mean to upset anybody, my concern comes from watching a friend become "quite obsessed" with her doppler in early pregnancy - her words, not mine smile.
Also it can be difficult to pick up a fetal heart sound, even with lots of experience, which creates increased anxiety and stress which may not be ideal for baby. Particularly in the 2nd trimester a fetal heart may be difficult to find. Prior to that, I felt I just had to trust nature as there would be nothing anybody could do if the pregnancy went wrong, and after @ 20 weeks you will have reassurance of feeling baby kick.
I am certainly no saying "do not get one", although personally I would not, just as I said consider the pitfalls.
Hope you have a great pregnancy smile

nobodysfool Wed 06-Aug-08 22:20:49

Thanks for your opinion but i have found it to be a great comfort as i have a low lying placenta and have already had 3 haemorrhages with massive blood loss and have been kept in hospital overnight and the staff are not always able to offer a scan to confirm the baby is ok so its been a real help for me to hear it moving and kicking etc.

Mummyfor3 Wed 06-Aug-08 23:06:19

That's great. Fingers crossed for you - I have been in your shoes, DS2 was delivered at 31 weeks after I had been in hospital for 5 weeks. He was 3lbs 10oz, now whopping 3st 4 year old grin - but horrible scary thing to go through at the time.
Lots and lots of good luck!!

nobodysfool Thu 07-Aug-08 09:53:27

glad to fear all is well with your ds.

tinkisagracefulshamu Thu 07-Aug-08 16:48:08

you can hear babys heartbeat,kicking and hiccups and you can use it from 12wks
i find it really reasurring probably listen to baby once a wk.
sound is so clear and can pick up heartbeat in 5 mins

nobodysfool Thu 07-Aug-08 16:55:13

Tinkas-what colour monitoe have you got i have seen a pink one and a green one.Whats the difference?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: