Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

MW has suggested sweep 3 days after due date - not sure what to do

(28 Posts)
cupcake76 Fri 18-Jul-08 15:34:27

Message withdrawn

Sunshinemummy Fri 18-Jul-08 15:41:30

I had three sweeps (1 baby) and neither of them worked. My sister had two (2 babies) and both worked. They need to check cervix is ripe before they even attempt is as there is no point if not I believe.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 18-Jul-08 15:43:47

I had a sweep when I was 40+3, and DD appeared at 40+4. It wasn't a planned sweep, but when I had an appt at 3 days over, the mw suggested doing one and was quite happy to go along with it.

It is quite possible your baby might have put in an appearance before your next appt thought smile

witchandchips Fri 18-Jul-08 15:44:23

ime a sweep is one up from a shag or a curry. If your body is not ready to give birth, it won't work and if it is that it might speed it up by a day or so.

Jolosh Fri 18-Jul-08 15:49:15

It seems way too early to be thinking about a sweep. A bit personal but, is your cycle 28 days or more? If it's longer, then your EDD is probably early.

In Ireland and France for the first pregancy they add a week to the EDD anyway, as they are often later than a first pregnancy.

Most areas allow you to go up to 2 weeks over your EDD - so I wouldn't panic... as long as your baby's still moving around regularly you'll know it's healthy, and the MW can always listen to the heart beat to check if either of you are worried.

That said, of all the 'induction' type things, it's way better than syntocin (gel pessary!) - but I agree, it'll probably only work if the baby's about due anyway. wink

And as Idris says.... it's a long time till then!

BorgLady Fri 18-Jul-08 16:31:30

I had a sweep today at 40+3 and I was a bit apprehensive as people had told me it could be painful. Even the consultant said it might hurt just before she did it, but it was fine. Literally two seconds and I was told I could get dressed.

I went to the supermarket afterwards thinking that if my waters were going to break anywhere it would be in the most embarrassing place possible, and I had a couple of contractions then, but nothing since.

The way I looked at it was at least I would find out how close my body was to giving birth, as they told me what my cervix was doing, so I at least know I'm getting there, if a bit late!

cupcake76 Fri 18-Jul-08 16:43:54

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 18-Jul-08 16:48:10

A sweep is hardly what I'd class as 'intervention' or 'induction'! I had one at 39+6 iirc - still didn't give birth til 40+6.

ilovealgreen Fri 18-Jul-08 18:44:15

Tell her to piss off.
Totally fed up with MW's and their need to hurry everything along......

NattyPlusTwo Fri 18-Jul-08 18:45:36

a sweep is fantastic, and all it is really is a prod, which you COULD do yourself by having very rough sex (thats why they say sex starts of labour)
worked both times for me, is a brilliant way of starting of your labour without drugs. it can also take three attempts to work so starting now sounds like a good idea, to stop you going to far over. im sure the last thing you want is a drip in your arm!

TheProvincialLady Fri 18-Jul-08 18:48:36

It is an intervention though. A sweep risks breaking the waters, which could set off a painful labour or no labour followed by induction due to risk of infection. In my case it set off loads of quite painful contractions which nevertheless did nothing, meaning that I had an extra 24 hours of pre-labour. I wouldn't have one again. They only work if you would have gone into labour within 48 hours anyway, so what's the hurry? Especially at 40 weeks.

TheProvincialLady Fri 18-Jul-08 18:49:50

Another thing to remember is that it is an estimated due date, so this whole thing of being "overdue" at 3 days past is total crap.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Fri 18-Jul-08 18:50:23

What do they do? Do they tickle your cervix??? hmm

NattyPlusTwo Fri 18-Jul-08 18:51:38

lol, more like a strong stroke wink

TheProvincialLady Fri 18-Jul-08 18:52:29

I wouldn't describe the sensation as ticklishgrin More like the roughest smear test of your life. They stick a finger into your cervix, assuming it is open enough, and rub their finger round the general area.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Fri 18-Jul-08 18:53:27

A strong stroke. OOOH. That's very informative. I think I understand now!

I'd go for it if you're 3 days overdue! I'd hate to be overdue. I never was though.

umberella Fri 18-Jul-08 18:54:07

I wasn't ready when they tried a sweep on me and it was bloody uncomfortable. They basically grab your cervix with two fingers, and stick a third on into the opening and guddle about for a few seconds.

nice hmm

ilovealgreen Fri 18-Jul-08 18:57:28

Surely baby will come out when it is ready not because some mw is prodding your bits.
They are desperate to do it to me but can just FO. They totally managed to screw up my dates and turns out I am now not even overdue although they would STILL be happy to prod!!!!

AHHHH makes me mad!!!!

and relax.......

2point4kids Fri 18-Jul-08 19:01:50

I had a sweep at 40+1, it was fine, not painful at all.
Baby born next day.

NattyPlusTwo Fri 18-Jul-08 19:04:44

LongLiveGreenElizabeth are you being sarky hmm

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Fri 18-Jul-08 19:05:46

Um, no, I just saying that although it doesn't sound very pleasant, I think if I'd gone over my due date I would have been keen to get things moving.

WinkyWinkola Fri 18-Jul-08 19:11:17

I'd just leave it. What's the rush? I know it's annoying being so heavy etc but the baby will come when it's ready.

Personally, I think all this 'due date' business is a bit arbitrary. The word overdue is pretty meaningless too because women have different cycle lengths, they don't know exactly when the child was conceived etc. All this can alter a due date.

Some babies are born at 39 weeks, some at 40, some at 41 and some are even born just fine at 43 weeks. I believe the baby will come when it's ready. Vets don't have to induce animals. All this jumping to intervene is really unnecessary IMO. Leave the pregnant woman alone!

Just enjoy the last few days of being able to sleep late. And make sure you have something indulgent to do everyday. Meet a friend for lunch, have a glass of champagne, eat nutella by the spoonful. Really indulge yourself. And breathe and relax.

hatrick Fri 18-Jul-08 19:11:41

Message withdrawn

WinkyWinkola Fri 18-Jul-08 19:13:01

Although prostoglandins are far more effective if absorbed through the gut. IYSWIM.

LongLiveGreenElizabeth Fri 18-Jul-08 19:13:16

Noway hatrick!! In Ireland they will not allow you to go beyond 40+9. Too dangerous in Ireland, but perfectly safe in UK. ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now