Advanced search

First time mum and I'm another country :s

(3 Posts)
Isu95 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:14:00

Hi, I'm pregnant for first time and I leave in the UK, my partner is English and I'm Spanish (we are not married), the question is idk what I need to do...
Do I need to go to the Spanish embassy? Can my baby be Spanish and English at the same time? In Spain we have something called "libro de famila" witch is a family book like the document that says who your parents are...
So many questions and no answers... I feel so lost... idk what I need to do... no family for advice neither....
Anyone can tell me the steps to follow for my situation?
Thanks smile

ClareB83 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:22:42

Well your partner can presumably help you a bit eg explaining birth certificates.

A bit of googling will help too eg it looks like you should get your child a Spanish passport first as Spain isn't as flexible about dual nationality (plus they're not leaving the EU). Or legal advice if you want to be really sure.

All of that can wait a bit though and first thing is to get yourself referred to a midwife either by your GP or doing it yourself online. This assumes you have an EHIC. If not get one.

Start taking folic acid.

mindutopia Thu 08-Feb-18 10:06:59

I would try to relax. You have plenty of time to sort these things out. If you've been entitled to health care so far, you will continue to be. You'll get the same care as everyone else. (I'm not British and I've had two babies here and also one miscarriage for which I received hospital care).

You don't need to do anything really until baby is born. After baby is born, you will need to go to the registry office with your partner to register the birth within 40 days. This is how you get your baby's birth certificate. This is exactly what any British couple would do. Bring your passport and any other identity documents with you. Your baby will be a British citizen from birth, but you can use the birth certificate to apply for a passport (which you should do early on in case you need to travel back to Spain for any reason).

Then what happens in terms of baby's Spanish citizenship would depend on Spanish laws. The Spanish Embassy website is probably your best resource for figuring out that bit. I'm American. In our case, our children can be dual citizens. We have to go in person (both parents and baby) to the Embassy in London to apply for a U.S. overseas birth certificate and a passport. Our children are also technically U.S. citizens from birth too (due to my citizenship), but you need to fill out some forms to report the birth. Then you get a birth certificate from the U.S. and a U.S. passport. It's probably similar for Spain. That's probably how you would apply for your libro de familia. But I would see what they say and be in touch with a consular official if you have any questions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: