Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Toxoplasmosis anxiety

(13 Posts)
amateurcynic Sun 22-Oct-17 21:35:24

Hoping somebody can talk me down from my current state of panic! I'm 9w + 2 days pregnant and freaking out because I forgot and ate a sandwich containing salami a few days ago. It was heated but from what I've read it wouldn't have been for long enough to kill the toxoplasmosis parasite. I think I've read everything on the Internet now so I know the risk is small but I just feel so terrified of what I might have done. I have a GP appointment tomorrow so going to ask for a blood test but was hoping for any words of wisdom in the meantime?

PastysPrincess Sun 22-Oct-17 21:40:07

Dont worry, it’s a myth;

“No risk of transmission of the disease, even to children and pregnant women, can derive from the consumption of cooked meat, cooked or salted-fermented salami and ham.”
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11424801/

minipie Sun 22-Oct-17 21:40:09

Cured meats changed status while I was pregnant from "unsafe" to "safe" (according to NHS advice site). I ate loads.

I see the NHS now says "be cautious" ie not "avoid" -basically there is a teeny tiny risk and it's up to you.

I really really wouldn't worry.

DeadDoorpost Sun 22-Oct-17 21:48:22

I find this out at the end of my pregnancy 😭😭😭 the foods I've not been eating and all this time I could have dammit. DH sat there and ate it all in front of me. I better go and make up for it...
Thanks for the info btw.

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Sun 22-Oct-17 22:38:30

Whenever I'm pregnant I devour salami, pepperoni etc - couldn't live without the italian BMT's from subway grin you're quite alright!

KarateKitten Sun 22-Oct-17 22:39:50

I ate a whole pack of salami last week. I've eaten it on about 50 occasions in the last 4 pregnancies.

Hope that makes you feel less freaked out.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 22-Oct-17 23:11:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lozmatoz Mon 23-Oct-17 05:07:34

I’ve eaten a tonne of the stuff throughout. Sure it’ll be fine but no harm seeking advice from GP if you’re going anyway.

Firefries Mon 23-Oct-17 05:20:54

You'll be fine!

AdaHopper Mon 23-Oct-17 07:22:09

I'm from a European country where we eat a lot of raw meat. They screen everyone who is trying to conceive or just pregnant. When my DM was young, almost everyone had the antibodies so they could all eat what they liked. Now, very few people have anti-bodies. That also means that the risk of catching it is very low.... If you didn't catch it in the last 20-30 years, I piece of salami is unlikely to change that...

With DC2 I lived in the UK and insisted on a test (which was negative with DC1). Turns out I did have the antibodies. No idea when i caught it though. DC2 is fine smile

mindutopia Mon 23-Oct-17 09:57:04

I've never avoided salami in any of my pregnancies. You're much more likely to get toxoplasmosis digging in your garden, to be fair.

amateurcynic Mon 23-Oct-17 13:36:40

Thanks so much to everybody who replied. Reading other perspectives has really helped me escape from my head. The doctor this morning was unconcerned and said the only real risk is cats (which is not correct) but did refer me for a blood test. Thanks again for the reassurance from everybody.

KarateKitten Mon 23-Oct-17 13:50:09

Glad you're feeling reassured.

Your doc referred you for a blood test? I hope to God not because you ate some salami! What a waste of NHS resources if so. But I'm going to assume he had concerns about your iron or something legitimate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: