Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins from midwife

(13 Posts)
newmumtobe86 Sat 20-May-17 07:44:15

I'm 11 weeks pregnant today
I was taking normal folic acid tablets and was fine
I've now met with my midwife who gave me the women's tablets so they contain all vitamins aswell as folic acid, she told me to take these instead of over the counter folic acid
I'm wondering if it is a coincidence but since taking them I've had upset stomach, headaches, generally feeling unwell
Did anybody else react to them? X

DebsOctBaby Sat 20-May-17 08:30:16

Unfortunately lots of people feel rough on them. I found pregnacare impossible to take. I have found that if I take Boots own brand version last thing at night, it's fine. Must be helping, was told my iron levels are impressive!

MissBax Sat 20-May-17 08:34:16

I take pregnacare max, but when my midwife gave me the folic acid and vit D to have instead I switched for a week and had headaches every day. Swapped back to the pregnacare and they dissappear. I put it down to no added iron in the ones midwife gave.

arbrighton Sat 20-May-17 08:52:34

I just took straight, cheap folic acid to 12 weeks and vit D throughout.

Not anaemic. Not sick

newmumtobe86 Sat 20-May-17 09:54:21

Thanks for your replies
I've swapped back to normal folic acid today so shall see how I get on x

arbrighton Sat 20-May-17 16:40:30

Have you got Vit D too?

newmumtobe86 Sun 21-May-17 02:09:54

No should I buy this too?

SofiaAmes Sun 21-May-17 03:13:48

Actually the folic acid is most important before conception and in the first few weeks, I think. Vitamin D is super important. Added iron can give you tummy aches. Probably better to just eat meat if you can.

Youvegotafriendinme Sun 21-May-17 03:29:45

I couldn't take boots own as they left a horrible taste in my mouth, gave me terrible headaches and I found I was really restless. Pregnacare were find for me. You need to take at least vit D and folic acid

ashaj92 Sun 21-May-17 08:05:45

Pregnacare were awful for me too, took them for about 2 weeks early on and felt awful, not to mention severely constipated (sorry if tmi). Stopped taking them and took folic acid only up to 12 weeks and am now taking folic acid and vitamin d after recommendation from my midwife (am currently 16 weeks), I feel soooo much better! I think you need to use whatever feels right for you and listen to your body smile

arbrighton Sun 21-May-17 08:41:28

@newmumtobe86

Yes, NHS recommend all pregnant women take vit D throughout pregnancy- there is some good evidence out there for that. www.nhs.uk/news/2016/07July/Pages/Pregnancy-supplements-dont-help-just-take-vit-D-and-folic-acid.aspx

@ashaj92 Constipation is also just being pregnant since the progesterone slows your digestive system now. Folic acid is only really needed up to 12 weeks when the neural tube has formed unless you are told you need to keep taking it.

MissBax Sun 21-May-17 08:55:06

asha yes I was going to say the same as brighton - constipation is really normal in early pregnancy regardless of what you take. The amount of iron in pregnacare is no where near enough to cause constipation.

MissBax Sun 21-May-17 08:55:29

...unless you already eat SHIT LOADS of meat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now