Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation

(16 Posts)
user1492722847 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:11:37

Am 12 weeks pregnant and suffering from severe constipation . Anybody know if when pregnant you can take laxatives or of any natural remedies ??

SilverLinings2014 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:09:23

P fruits are good for constipation (prunes, pears, peaches) A glass of prune juice a day will really help..if you don't like it (it's an squire taste) a hand full of dried prunes daily

samatamfabahaba Sun 23-Apr-17 20:28:22

Go to the doctors and ask for Lactulose and Fibogel. Eat prunes and oranges, drink prune juice (if you can stand it) and loads and loads and loads of water. For the love of god do not sit on the toilet and push like you can do when you aren't pregnant. It will NOT end well. Sit with your feet up if you can, like on a little stool or something and lean forward with your elbows on your knees, and just breathe. Just trust me on the not pushing front, you will regret it.

vfoster Sun 23-Apr-17 20:30:47

seconded for prunes and the stool (you can buy Ines called squatty potties or something but a toddler's toilet stand will do the trick!) I also found hot water with a slice of lemon first thing helped and loads of fibre and water made a difference. This symptom, thankfully, didn't last long for me and by about 14 weeks I felt better.

MaryThorne Sun 23-Apr-17 21:13:12

Midwife told me to get lactulose from the pharmacy. I've found it helps a lot (my constipation was really unpleasant before).

MaryThorne Sun 23-Apr-17 21:13:49

I'm 11+4 and been taking it for about 3 weeks

MaryThorne Sun 23-Apr-17 21:15:16

Oh and I also use a stool to put my feet on.

Hollyhop17 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:20:46

Are you taking pregnacare? I had terrible constipation with this which pretty much ended once I switched to folic and vitamin d pills.

lauryloo Sun 23-Apr-17 21:22:43

Raise your feet on a step. I found that helped when I was pregnant

user1492722847 Sun 23-Apr-17 23:05:41

I am taking pregnacare confused thank you guys x

LauraPalmersBodybag Sun 23-Apr-17 23:20:50

Lactulose!

westeringhome Mon 24-Apr-17 06:44:04

I feel for you, it's horrible isn't it. I found the best thing for me was LOADS of water, fruit and vegetables, and weetabix to keep things regular. When I couldn't actually go, I got lactulose and all it did was make me bloated and gassed up. I turned to doner kebabs and curry puts road right through me

MrsSkeffington Mon 24-Apr-17 06:54:59

Do you have a Lidl? Go there and buy a big bag of soft pitted prunes - eat like fifteen.

rizlett Mon 24-Apr-17 06:57:21

curry!

Frizziee Mon 24-Apr-17 13:47:21

I take a big spoonful of chia seeds daily with a large glass of water, sorted me right out. I also switched from gaviscon to rennie which has made a big difference... although rennie not as effective for heartburn confused

rizlett Mon 24-Apr-17 15:18:08

fennel seeds/tea is also effective for some - and liquorice of course.

and for some reason - with me - dorset cereals! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now