Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low platelets....fit to fly?

(6 Posts)
fassbendersmistress Sat 08-Apr-17 19:08:51

I've just found out I have low platelet count - I'm 32 weeks - it's not drastically low - but need to have another blood test at next appt. I am due at GP next week, when I'll be 33 weeks to get a fit to fly letter. It's not long haul, just a short flight, coming back at 34 weeks.

Does anyone know if this is likely to affect GPs decision to certify me as fit to fly? Pregnancy has otherwise been normal/healthy.

Helspopje Sat 08-Apr-17 19:09:46

How low?
Biggest issue may be that it could affect birth choices

fassbendersmistress Sat 08-Apr-17 19:45:13

136...so a 'mild' case I would think?

I'm over 40 and a planned cs (first birth was cs, platelets not an issue then) has been discussed, to be confirmed at 36wks...

Helspopje Sat 08-Apr-17 19:58:47

That is a nornal platelet count in late pregnancy

fassbendersmistress Sat 08-Apr-17 20:10:25

Hmmm, that's good to hear thanks (even though letter from hospital says different)....I'll call midwife on Monday to chat about it. Hopefully that means it won't affect docs decision to give me go ahead to fly then. DP and DC will be gutted if Easter hols are cancelled!!

Helspopje Sun 09-Apr-17 00:15:41

I'm a haematology consultant
Formerly an obstetric haematologist
It is normal for late pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now