VBAC/Pregnancy after csection(13 Posts)
Had my 2nd DC three weeks ago and I'm totally in love- already mentally planning the 3rd! My 1st was a normal delivery, 2nd an emergency section at term (wasn't dramatic etc) and just curious although my c-section recovery has been great so far it is lengthy.. I worry about my incision hurting if I got pregnant again, and I worry about rupture or a complicated vbac labour- dr advised to go 1year before falling pregnant again- in an ideal world I'd like to ttc again around 18months pp. I'd appreciate all of your advice and if you could share your experiences with me that would be super helpful thanks!
I have 3dc. My third pregnancy (after my c-section in 2nd pregnancy), I could occasionally feel the scar from it. I also had low lying placenta which apparently is more common after a c-section. I decided early on I would have a second c-s delivery as I had gd so would have been induced if not and I didn't want another failed induction.
After my second c-s I healed faster than the first. The scar is neater because they cut away the first scar to make the second IYSWIM (might not be the case all the time) . I do however have no feeling in the surrounding skin after 16 months and get weird tingling up my stomach sometimes, plus the weird phantom itch that cannot be scratched along the scar line.
My periods are nothing short of horrific now though, and that's the only real issue I have had from having 2 sections.
I've had 3 c-sections. During my second and third pregnancies I did get some discomfort around the scar - actually mainly in early pregnancy, with a burning sensation along the scar line as things stretched, and then again in late pregnancy when I was the size of a house!
I wanted to try for a VBAC with DC2 but I didn't go into labour and didn't want to be induced again (first was an EMCS after a failed induction) so I had a section at 41 weeks. At that time the surgeon said my uterus was very thin and I should consider not having any more children due to a high risk of rupture.
I ended up having a second opinion from a private consultant who felt that the risk was manageable, could be assessed by regular scans after 34 weeks and by delivering at 39 weeks. We went for it and I had DC3 last June after a easy pregnancy.
Although recovery from a c-section is never great, mine have got progressively easier / partly because I knew what to expect to took it easy enough to avoid an infection.
My first was a emergency cs at term. Quick and easy recovery. I was swimming lengths after 6 weeks and running again after 11.
My second is 37 months younger. Previous CS did not affect the pregnancy at all, and hospital policy is to encourage vbac unless there was a medical need for a CS. I was happy with this and went to hypobirthing and pg yoga classes.
I went into spontaneous labour at 39 weeks and laboured very quickly (as before) with very strong, very fast contractions little break between them. After a couple of hours + pethidine, I ruptured, lost nearly 1 L blood. DD's heart stopped and born by crash section under GA within a few minutes ( she is fine and always has been) - what the surgeon later described as "a slash and grab job" (jokingly and kindly. He explained the detail too). Recovery was long and painful - I couldn't stand up straight or walk much further than the end of the road for 9 weeks. So ruptures do happen, and I understand that DD and I were extremely fortunate to have been treated so quickly and successfully.
I was advised that any further pg would have to be very carefully monitored and birth would be by planned CS. Since I had my 41st birthday when DD was 3 weeks old, and had terrible HG in both ph, there's no chance of that happening!
I have this dilemma as pregnant with number 2 after EMCS. I'm wondering about compromising on a VBAC with an epidural so if there are any problems they can deliver the baby asap without a GA.
I had VB, then emCS, then 2x VBAC - all absolutely fine
You have a 'proven pelvis' i.e. you have already once successfully given birth vaginally and depending on the reason for your CS this time round, most consultants will be happy to go with your preferred mode of delivery the next time round.
This is a good evidence based resource
I've had ECS, vbac with placenta retained and vbac with near scar rupture
and baby and I nearly died. I think my issues were I wasn't sewn up properly, wasn't cared for properly or listened too and then had to have surgery a year or so later. Told to not have any more kids . Apparently a retained placenta is common after a c section. I did not know this.
I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant with number 2. Dd is 18 months So far my emergency csection scar hasn't affected me. I had a quick recovery the first time and will be having an ELCS purely because I have GD and don't want another failed induction at 38 weeks.
As you've had one successful birth already, I imagine you'd be a good candidate for vbac.
Got pregnant one year after my emcs. No problems with scar or pregnancy. Opted for an elcs second time around and was very happy with it. Easy recovery both times and have a beat pain-free scar 9 months later.
EMCS first time around for foetal distress, pregnant 11 months later. Dc2 born by induced vbac at 40+12 recovery much quicker. No issues with scar discomfort or anything during my pregnancy.
I'm pregnant with dc3 after two sections. Dc1 was emergency due to lack of movement and fetal distress (no labour). Second was semi elective section after attempted Vbac - 80 hours of early labour with no progression and no appetite for induction so ended up with the section that had been booked in if I didn't give birth by 40+8.
Had a bit of scar discomfort with dc2, nothing major. Actually had quite a bit this week (28 weeks) but recovery from both sections was luckily pretty good.
Going for elcs this time. One bit of advice I would give - don't torment yourself about the choice between vbac and elcs. I spent months trying to decide, reading up on both and generally worrying about it. I felt a lot of pressure to make the right decision - which of course is impossible as you have no idea how each birth will come out! It made for a really difficult pregnancy.
Am much more relaxed this time and enjoying it much more (as much as you can with a 4 and 2 year old!) as I have made peace with the thought of another section. Good luck!
Thanks so much for all the replies!
Pacific Wow I didn't know about the 'proven pelvis' haha! I like that- definetly makes me feel more comfortable if I did go on to get pregnant again and try for a VBac
Knitting Thanks I think that's important- we all put so much pressure on ourselves so it means a lot when someone tells you it's ok whatever happens
First Dd was born by emergency csection after failed induction and fetal distress. Just over 12 months later second Dd was born by planned section due to pressure from the consultant about being pregnant so soon after 1st delivery and being scared over scar rupture. 18 months after that Birth I opted for a vba2c. Labour started naturally but failure to progress prompted another c section. I'm now 29 weeks pregnanat with number 4 and really want to try for a vba3c but the consultants are desperately advising against it. Im just going to see what happens!!! Don't be scared to do what u feel is right, do lots of research and read up on vbacs. I had a midwife quote statistics at me when I mentioned a vba2c last time but because I'd read alot I knew she was talking rubbish. My third little one was born with issues that ment he wouldn't be able to be born naturally so that's why I'm pushing for vbac this time has it wasn't due to my body but his issues. I still regret having the planned c section and wish I'd have be better informed. Do what u feel is right though. X
Join the discussion
Please login first.