Preeclampsia - when did you deliver?(19 Posts)
I've posted before about being admitted at 28 weeks with preeclampsia. I'm still here, two weeks on, and going crazy...
I'm on the highest dose of methyldopa, and my BP is generally being controlled (although have had one or two occasions when it has continued to increase so I've been given a hit of nifedipine). Protein still there, but hasn't increased (first 24 hour urine showed 1.2g which I know is high). Bloods seem ok.
My question is, if you had PE, when did you deliver? Will they wait until I start going downhill, or will they cut their losses at some point before things get worse?
I know it's best if for the baby to stay in as long as possible, but I can't bear the thought of being here 10 more weeks
I was diagnosed/admitted at 36 weeks, he waa born by emcs six days later. Their plan had been induce at 39 weeks but they couldn't get a handle on my bp. By the time they decided on emcs my entire body was very swollen, bp was 190/111, I don't know what my protein level was. I felt pretty shit by then with upper back pain and weird tightenings, but outwardly I didn't seem too bad and I didn't have any organ problems, visual disturbances, etc, placenta fine too. But it must've been relatively seriously because my consultant NEVER agrees to c sections unless absolutely necessary, he's known for it, I found that out after.
It's horrible just sitting in hospital but it's the best place for you both to be, particularly at this gestation. I know it's tough but the longer baby gets to stay in the better.
Thanks foggy - it's difficult to be positive when there doesn't appear to be a plan in place... and it's also a weird feeling waiting to become more unwell, if that makes sense...!
The plan for now though is to just keep you there, observing you and baby and hoping that's all they have to do for a long while. I was in 5 days before they decided on a plan; induction at 39 weeks if I got that far with everything being managed well, before that induction would be brought forward or worst case was emcs. They werent overly concerned about my son because he was nearly at term and doing fine, just decided my bp wouldn't cope well with induction so cs was chosen. You need to make your peace with staying there, get some hobbies you can do, programmes on your phone, etc. I had just done all of that (and the accompanying hours of crying) two days before he was born, has to be doneable.
Had it with both of mine. In and out of hospital from 28 weeks, was given steroid injections and prepped to deliver DS at 32 weeks but consultant decided to keep him in and induce at 37 weeks. 38 weeks with DD
Thanks all. bakingaddict did they postpone your delivery because things were stable?
I was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome (a pre-eclampsia variant) at 38 weeks and had a c section the same day.
Diagnosed at 30 weeks, put on bed rest in hospital. Had steroids, lots of growth scans, scans of my placenta that wasn't working great and some sort of scans that measured the blood flow. Sorry can't remember the name of it, been a few years now. Delivered at 34weeks by quick cs due to the PE causing IUGR, low birthweight and not growing, plus the blood flow thingy negative. They will keep you going as long as they possibly can without risk to baby and you.
It's not what you imagine being stuck in hospital for so long but it really is the best thing.
Best of luck to you
I wasn't diagnosed till 36 weeks. At first they thought it was mild and thought they would be able to let me go home with medication but every time they stabilised me my blood pressure shot up again so they kept me in and started inducing me at exactly 37 weeks. That didn't work and ds was born at 37 +4 by emcs. He and I were both fine.
You have my sympathies op, being stuck in hospital is dull, dull, dull. Hang on in there, if they want to keep you in then it is because it is the best thing for you and your baby.
Diagnosed at 34 weeks, after symptoms for 2 weeks kept being dismissed! Delivered at 35+2. Wont tell you what happened next!
Assume they're reviewing you daily to balance when is safest to deliver?
Delivered both of mine as I had it with 2 separate pregnancies at 37 weeks. Nifedapine didn't touch my bp as I recall, it was monitoring and keeping well.
I remember feeling the fluid actually sloshing around my feet as I walked, I was huge!
Was fine, both teeny tiny 5 pounders due to placental insufficiency.
My now 13 year old who is taller than me foraging for food if he isn't sleeping is great and My 3 year old is on his third tea!
I was diagnosed at 28 weeks, and delivered at 28-2 but that was an extreme case, my bloody pressure was struggling to be controlled and my kidneys started showing signs of distress and baby's heartbeat was dropping so they delivered baby, they have to wait I think until something happens. I'm currently pregnant again and started medication at 12 weeks & there's a plan in place from my last pregnancy. Hope all goes well for you xx
I was admitted at 37 wks with last one and they wouldnt stsrt me until I was 39 weeks despite the pre eclampsia. All I remember was having the worst headache and feeling to ill to move n begging them to stsrt my labour. Hope I dont get it again this time does anyond know the chances of getting it again?
I had pre-pre-eclampsia with both pregnancies - both times developing from unstable blood pressure around week 34-35 and protein appearing in urine
- with dd1 - they let pregnancy continue until 42 weeks and delivery did not go well
- with dd2 I was induced at 38 weeks and the delivery went very well
Gosh I'm really shocked at some of these. I had suspected pre-ec that turned out to be just pregnancy induced hypertension and the plan, for either diagnosis, was hang on in til 37 weeks unless things got worse for me. I was induced and delivered at 37w0days. Really surprised to see the treatment plans for the majority appear to be aiming for 39 weeks or more. Although 37 weeks is only just barely 'term', my BP was causing growth concerns and so I was very happy that the balance of prematurity vs placenta was reached.
OP, I know how frustrated you must feel but it really is a balance of you v baby v placenta - healthiest for you to deliver soon, healthiest for baby to stay in longer unless placenta deteriorates in which case healthiest to deliver sooner. It's a complex equation. Can you talk in detail with your doctors about the various permutations? However I think you really should try to make peace mentally with the fact that you are confined to hospital. Can I suggest you do a few courses on FutureLearn or similar as a great way of passing the time and stimulating your mind?
I developed it at 35+5. Delivered Dd at 37 weeks when my BP was getting too much and my kidneys showed they were shutting down.
Was allowed one attempt at induction and it took 17 hours.
I'm high risk for pre-eclampsia due to high blood pressure and kidney disease. The plan has always been to induce me at 37-38 weeks due to the risk of pre-eclampsia and also fetal growth restriction due to the placenta not working properly. My blood pressure started creeping up at 34 weeks so they've adjusted my medication and I'm having regular monitoring, and am booked in for induction at 37+2. I'm nervous about the induction and also about the baby being small, but I've got to trust my consultant, and do what's best for both me and my baby.
Diagnosed at 34 + 6 and sent to hospital. EMCS 4 days later.
Join the discussion
Please login first.