Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Babies with CHD, how many weeks were you induced ?(37 Posts)
Mummies of babies with congenital heart defects..... how many weeks were you when they induced you?
I was induced at 42+1 with my heart baby. There was no way he was coming of his own accord. Do you know when you will be induced? How are you? I hope you and your baby are both doing as well as possible.
They said after week 39 but with my other babies I never reached my due date and the last thing they want is me to rock up at 3am ready to push and the doctors I need not being available so I'm really worried about when they want to start me off as I will be 39wks on 27th Dec and I want to be at home with my children for Christmas as once I'm in labour there is no telling when I will be out of the hospital it could be weeks. I'm getting stressed about it all now as time comes closer
My baby has recently been diagnosed with CHD and didn't know until after he was born. I blame myself. How are you's coping so far? X
Hi Nikki, I am being induced on Nov 22nd (if the baby turns from breech!) I'm due Dec 1st, my other two were both five days early and I am a little panicked as I worked out my due date to be Nov 26th and if the baby follows the same pattern, they'll be born the day before induction, having said that babies aren't predictable. What Hosptial are you under? I'm currently under three, if is pretty stressful. If you ever need to chat to someone going through something similar feel free to pm.
Lauren, don't blame yourself, it really isn't your fault, this is the second baby I have had with a congenital condition ( my dd is now fine and I have a ds as well) I blamed myself for my dd but can now see there is clearly something genetic with either myself or my dh, both cases have been extremely rare.
Thanks. It's just hard not to blame myself I've questioned everything and going round in circles looking for answers. That alone is exhausting. Can I ask what CHDs you children have? My son has aortic stenosis x
It's completely spoilt my pregnancy as I no longer enjoy it all I do is worry. I haven't bought a single thing for him. My baby has a large hole, he also has a double outlet right ventricle and also coractation of the aorta. I'm being scanned again in a few weeks to see how the aorta is doing and if it's any slimmer but they expect it to get slimmer within days of birth and to do an op within those few days. Then the open heart surgery later on to correct the hole and move the vessle over to the other side of his heart. I haven't blamed myslef I just tell myself it's like picking a straw and someone has to have the short straw and it was just us, could have been anyone. My baby is to be taken away immediately at birth to a special heart hospital and I have to stay at the other hospital until I'm well enough to leave but my partner is going with him x
I'm sorry to hear that Nikki I can completely understand why you feel it has ruined your pregnancy. I've struggled with being a new Mum as it's not how imagined or expected it to be. Is this your first? x
No he's not and my other children are all fine so at our 20 week scan this all came as a huge shock! I have explained to them he's very poorly and once I go into hospital to have him I won't be home for a while. They Seam ok about this x
Nikki just a post to send you so much warmth and support. I cannot imagine how stressful this must be for you. Pregnancy is so tough as it is without this horrible additional uncertainty. I wish you all the best for a really happy and healthy outcome.
Hello. I'm currently 38+3 and I am being induced on 21st November when I will be 40+2. My little girl has a hypoplastic aortic arch and a large VSD. We are scheduled to go in at 9.30pm. Once born she will be stabilised and transferred to Alder Hey for surgery within a couple of days. Very excited but very nervous about what's about to come x
That's great they are allowing you so close to your due date! Yes he will also be stabelised then transferred I asked if I can hold him once he comes out and they have said only until his cord it cut and they will leave the cord for 2-3 minuets. I honestly don't know what to expect at this birth but I'm so scared about it but At the same time want to look passed all the scary and unknown parts and enjoy what time I have left of my baby being tucked up safely inside. Did you get to go and see the hospital your baby is going too? We did and went onto cardiac intensive care unit and it's quite daunting in there x
We haven't been to the hospital to see where she will be transferred to. I was in a bad place following the diagnosis and it would have set me back a lot so we are just taking everything as it comes. She is our first so do not have any other experience of birth to compare this one to which I think helps. My worry was that I wouldn't be able to hold her but I've come to the conclusion that if I can't there will be a good reason for this but I've been assured that we will be able to before she is taken to neonatal. It is very scary but I have spoken with so many families who have been through/are going through something similar and I've found this to be a great help. There are loads of groups on Facebook that are amazing! What hospital is your baby being transferred to?x
I was induced at 38 weeks but heart was also displaced by a cyst in his lung. We lived an hour away from the hospital and they didn't want us to not make it when I was in labour
He is going to the freeman in Newcastle where are you's? X
We are at Alder Hey. I've heard so much good stuff about all the cardiac specialist centres in this country we are very lucky to have such amazing facilities available x
How many weeks were you and who did you see when they discussed your induction? I have another scan in 3 weeks with the cardio Drs will they talk about induction?
Sorry to disappear, I went to my local midwives, Nikki your baby has very similar to mine, coarctation of the aorta and large VSD we are under John Radcliffe and will be transferred to Great Ormond Street. Can I say the waiting is worse than anything else if it helps, my dd a life saving operation at two days old ( not heart) and the waiting was worse than actually going through it, they took her straight off but it hasn't affected our bond, she is now 11 and has just text me to ask about headphones, it does become normal again, I promise you all, it sucks and I have good and bad days but you will come through the other side. The midwife has just said my baby is still breech so I have emailed and called fetal medicine to discuss a Caesaran, they wanted to do ECV and induction but I'm not prepared to do that so I have put my case forward for a Caesaran.
The stress also of not knowing how he will be at birth they have said he may or may not cry he may stay blue and it's really freaking me out. I also have huge issues about our bond if he is taken away and I can't hold him. I'm so glad it didn't effect you and your baby. My baby has been head down since 19 weeks and I'm 32 weeks now so hoping he stays in this position.
We were booked in for our induction at an appointment with the fetal cardiologist at 35 weeks. They briefly mentioned it at 25 weeks but nothing booked. We were actually told by a midwife that it would be the 12th but at our last appointment they gave us the option of before the due date or after and we opted for after. We thought the longer she stays in the bigger and stronger she will be for her op x
I will be 35 weeks at my appointment with the fetal cardiac Drs who will be doing my scan then they always take me back into a little room and tell me what they have found so will they sort out the induction then? Yes I'd rather go as close to my due date as possible so he's bigger and stronger. But as this is not my first baby, and as I have never went to my due date yet I'm worried about going into labour before an induction but I only live a 5min drive from the hospital x
Yeah your scans sound exactly the same as mine apart from the last two I had the doctors didn't come into the room with us a midwife did just to sign off on what we had been told and then at the final one to tell us the time and date that the induction had been booked. We are about a 10-15 drive to the hospital so if I go naturally we would be there pretty quick. They told me that as soon as I have any signs of labour to contact them and then go straight the hospital. I don't think they would want me to stay in the house until a certain point because I will be on continuous monitoring x
Yea that have told me I would be monitored during the whole labour too. But have also said babies with these conditions do well during labour it's not until after we see the problems. So does this mean I will be stuck on the bed the whole labour? X
From what the midwife said I think so but she may have just been talking about if an induction goes ahead. Not too sure what happens I go into labour on my own. I am not too keen to be stuck on my back in a bed for hours and hours. I wanted an active birth with minimal intervention. Obviously that won't be happening now but I would like the option of being able to get up and have a wander round rather than be on the bed the whole time. I wrote a list of questions to ask at my last appointment and completely forgot about them until we were in the car home x
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.