Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Progesterone in Pregnancy - some advise please

(5 Posts)
shannon1907 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:28:17

Hi, I am 13 weeks and 3 days and my consultant has said to stop taking my 400 Cyclogest at 14 weeks but did anyone stop taking in stages or as soon as reached the time stop all together?
Also how do I know my body is doing what it should after the 14 weeks, did you guys have a blood test or anything to confirm all is as it should be?

JOMH1982 Tue 27-Sep-16 13:26:26

Hi, I'm not sure, but I'm nearly 7 weeks and have been on 400mg twice a day and think I'll be on this throughput my pregnancy, but I think it can be stopped in the second trimester as the placenta takes over. I guess it also depends why you're on it as well, as I have a suspected weak cervix after second trimester loss at christmas, but I'm sure your consultant will have a care plan in place for you xx

Barefootcontessa84 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:30:06

Hi - I'm currently 15 weeks and take 400mg twice a day. I was prescribed it due to frequent bleeding (SCH) but not actually diagnosed low progesterone. The last time I asked, they said I may be able to stop at 16 weeks, but seemed like that wasn't a definite.

MrsChrisPratt Tue 27-Sep-16 18:47:07

Hi, I am an IVF pregnancy and used Utrogestan for Progesterone support. I started on 3x 200mg capsules a day and then at 11 weeks dropped to 2 a day for 3 days then 1 a day for 3 days before stopping. Fertility centre advised not doing a cold turkey withdrawal.

For what it's worth I was very panicky about stopping but it was fine. Nice not to do all the fanjo fiddling and deal with the mess actually!

happylass Tue 27-Sep-16 19:32:29

Hi. I was on 2 Cyclogest a day following an IVF pregnancy. At 10 weeks I dropped to 1 a day, then 1 every other day before stopping altogether around 12 weeks. I was also a little nervous about stopping but all was well. I wasn't tested or anything to check my natural levels. I think it really does depend on why you are taking it n the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now