Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antenatal schedule - last appointment with midwife 34 weeks

(9 Posts)
LillianFullStop Mon 08-Aug-16 14:51:19

So I just read through my antenatal schedule for my trust again and I just realised my next midwife appointment at 34 weeks will be my last one unless I go overdue to 41w. All subsequent antenatal appointment will be done by my GP.

Seems odd that at 34 weeks they go through your birthplan and you don't see them again - off you go! is the schedule the same for other trusts? I quite like my midwife and lucky enough to have the same one throughout since the beginning but I feel a bit like I'm being cut loose as the midwives when you're in labour are completely different!

feel like I need to bring her a thank you or farewell gift or something!

Lj8893 Mon 08-Aug-16 14:54:38

That does not seem right at all, you should be getting 2 weekly appointments (at least) from 30/31 weeks. I would confirm that's not the case with your midwife if I were you, anything could happen between 34 and 41 weeks. Blood pressure is just one thing that is vital it gets checked regularly.

Lj8893 Mon 08-Aug-16 14:56:05

Sorry didn't see the bit about your GP so at least you will be seen by somebody. Still seems odd to me though.

LillianFullStop Mon 08-Aug-16 15:35:42

Yeah it does seem odd as my midwife knows about the history of the pregnancy and it's not like they do a handover. I've been to one GP antenatal appointment and it took all of 5-10 minutes with a urine sample, fundal measurement and blood pressure check. nothing more than that.

Does seem odd!! I have my maternity notes from my first pregnancy last year which sadly ended in a mc and that definitely had my antenatal appointments with the midwife all the way through. Sounds like a resourcing issue to me sad

Whatsername17 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:57:44

I'd check that as it seems like a mistake x

Mummyme87 Mon 08-Aug-16 18:03:30

Check with your mw but could be right. We do 16wk mw, 24wk GP, 28wk MW, 32&34wk GP, 36wk MW, 38&40wk GP, 41wk MW

ScandiManny Mon 08-Aug-16 19:20:26

Here you have midwife appointments at the midwife led unit at 16 weeks and for a first pregnancy at 24 weeks, then a home visit at 28 weeks with a midwife and then from 34 weeks they're 2 weekly at the GP surgery but they're with a community midwife who holds a clinic at the surgery every Monday. Any chance it's that sort of set up?

LillianFullStop Mon 08-Aug-16 21:58:54

It's definitely 34w appointment (antenatal checks and birth plan discussion) with midwife. Then GP at 36/38/40 - they only advise another appointment with the midwife at 41w (presumably to offer a sweep) if you are overdue. They have nurses at my GP but definitely no midwives.

April241 Tue 09-Aug-16 10:39:55

My last ticked appointment is 28 weeks for bloods which I've had then nothing after that, that was all ticked at the beginning at my booking appt and I just assumed they'd tick more as they went along.

I see the consultant for a scan every 2 weeks but when I asked the midwife last week when I see them again she didn't know, I've just to ask the consultant when I see him again. I've no idea when we start discussing plans etc, all my mw appts have just been the usual bloods/pee. Strange!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now