Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I was raped, what will happen and what should I do?

(20 Posts)
Redapple12 Sat 18-Jun-16 23:12:50

Hi there. I was forced into sex by a guy I've known for years, this happened 5 weeks ago. I've taken 8 home pregnancy tests (7 positive).
Now I've had time to process it and come to terms, I'm wondering if I should tell the police/gp and what will happen? What will they do? I'm 16.

Thanks, Skye.

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 18-Jun-16 23:20:53

Hi there, ive just read your post and didn't want to not say anything. You should see your GP to discuss what you want to do. You can go to the police. You have been raped. But i can't imagine what you're going through and I hope you have someone in real life you can confide in. Someone will be here with experience to help. Hang in there.

Archedbrowse Sat 18-Jun-16 23:22:09

flowers I'm sorry this has happened to you.
Have you told anyone about this, have you got anyone you can tell (mother, friend, another relative)?
Mumsnet will be along with some better advice soon, didn't want to read & run.

Archedbrowse Sat 18-Jun-16 23:24:21

To add, yes it would be best to tell your GP and police. If possible take someone supportive with you. You will be believed, and they will be able to help you.

bearleftmonkeyright Sat 18-Jun-16 23:24:39

Just want to suggest talking to Rape Crisis. Search for their website and their is a phone number smile

TheHobbitMum Sat 18-Jun-16 23:26:38

I'm very sorry this has happened to you, can you confide in mum or someone else? You need to see your gp and police too. You didn't deserve this and you need lots of support now. There is a lot of help for you xx

handmedownqueen Sat 18-Jun-16 23:27:52

If you report to the Police you will be able to access a sexual assault referral centre or you can Google your local one and ring thome yourself without the police beino involved they are open 24/7 and can make all necessary referrals and help you
Where in the country are you roughly I can find your local one ( I work at one )
You poor love can you tell your mum ?

Redapple12 Sat 18-Jun-16 23:29:34

I've told my best friend, I cried on the phone to her after it happened. My mum wants me to either get an abortion or move out. There's no one else I feel like I could tell. I just don't want to go to the gp for them to go to the police without my consent. I want to know what there procedures are (police&doctors) before I tell them.

Redapple12 Sat 18-Jun-16 23:30:55

I'm in Edinburgh

Tartyflette Sat 18-Jun-16 23:32:44

Your GP won't tell the police if you do not want that.

Iflyaway Sat 18-Jun-16 23:33:52

Hi Skye,

What you want to do is up to you. And you only.

Do you have a mum you can talk to, sister, friend..? Or go to your GP.

You have been raped. Obviously abused. Vulnerable now. You have to reach out.

Whatever you do, you have to take ownership of this situation.

Hugs for you going forward.

SilverBirchWithout Sat 18-Jun-16 23:38:50

You GP will not talk to the Police unless you want them to. Contacting Rape Crisis is also a good idea, they will guide and support you and not make you do anything you don't want to happen.

Are you safe from this person you have known for a long time?

Tartyflette Sat 18-Jun-16 23:38:54

Your GP cannot tell anyone at all about the rape without your consent, but he or she will be able to outline all your options about the pregnancy for you, refer you for counselling for the rape if you want that and also get you checked in case the rapist also passed an STI on to you.

SilverBirchWithout Sat 18-Jun-16 23:42:29

This is the link to Rape Crisis Scotland. There phone lines are open until midnight.

Redapple12 Sat 18-Jun-16 23:43:48

I'm not safe, other than locking my doors all the time and only leaving the house with my best friend or taxi to and from wherever I'm going.
It takes about a month to get a doctors appointment- should I ask for emergency appointment or wait for a month?

AllChangeLife Sat 18-Jun-16 23:46:50

Emergency appointment... lie about the reason if you must (until you get in there) ask for a female gp if it will help.

Good luck xx

SilverBirchWithout Sat 18-Jun-16 23:47:22

Ask for an emergency appointment. Please call Rape crisis they can get you the local support and guidance you need.

handmedownqueen Sat 18-Jun-16 23:47:33

Ring ewrasac ( Edinburgh women's rape ano sexual assault referral centre) as soon as you can ( Google them) if you are in any immediate danger ring 999 xx

handmedownqueen Sat 18-Jun-16 23:49:52

You can talk to ewrasac or rape crisis anonymously on phone and discuss your options you don't need to give your name
You also need social services support if your mum is threatening to make you move out

Smile150 Mon 20-Jun-16 08:36:03

Firstly I hope you are ok! And I would contact the GP if I were you to discuss with them what options there are for you and what to do next. Please don't go through this on your own and if you feel you canto go to the GPS or police then like others have said talk to rape crisis they can provide you with information and help you on the next step and how to move forward. Really hope you are ok and that you get the help you need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now