Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worried about booking in appointment questions

(43 Posts)
Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 17:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DropYourSword Sun 17-Apr-16 17:41:12

It's truly up to you what you tell your midwife. Lie if you want. The important thing really is that you don't drink to that level in pregnancy!

Floggingmolly Sun 17-Apr-16 17:43:07

Just tell her you're aware of the guidelines and intend to follow them confused. Nobody's interested in conducting a witch hunt because you partied too hard before getting pregnant, honestly.

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Sun 17-Apr-16 17:44:32

TBH two bottles a week isn't that much but I think the guidelines are leaning to not drinking at all especially in the first trimester when the organs are forming. I think your mid wife might have an issue if you say you are still drinking - even if it's small amounts (what's the point anyway)

RaeSkywalker Sun 17-Apr-16 17:45:42

I think you'll be fine. I had mine a couple of weeks ago and the midwife was really focused on me not drinking now, not what I was up to before.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 17-Apr-16 17:45:46

Really don't worry about it! By all means fudge the truth a bit if it makes you feel better but they really only care that you follow the pregnancy guidelines.

underrugsswept Sun 17-Apr-16 17:46:26

I told mine is was 0 units now so it didn't really matter!

Artioo2 Sun 17-Apr-16 17:47:57

She might give you that NHS questionnaire about drinking levels, I've been given that before. And she might make sure you're aware of the guidelines. I guess it might be recorded in your notes that she's had the conversation with you - I've had notes made along the lines of 'discussed so-and-so, aware of so-and-so', but I really doubt a note will be made of how much you drank, and it certainly won't be flagged.

Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 17:55:14

underrugsswept Sun 17-Apr-16 18:09:19

My honest answer pre-preg would've been 'a couple of glasses during the week interspersed with the occasional binge drink'. I definitely didn't say that though grin

AyeAmarok Sun 17-Apr-16 18:21:53

Can you not just stop drinking entirely during pregnancy, at least during the first trimester?

I think that'll be more of a concern to your MW than how much you used to drink before you were pregnant.

Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 18:43:16

Wellthen Sun 17-Apr-16 18:43:49

I am still drinking now again and one midwife said 'you should really cut that out' (I restrained myself from answering 'show me the studies that say that') but my normal midwife, when she asked again at 28 weeks, simply said 'that's fine'

I would be honest. You clearly intend to cut down a lot and I certainly dont think you would be considered someone who has/had a problem with alcohol. I see no reason to suspect they would badger you, unless you had no intention of cutting down at all.

FellOutOfBedTwice Sun 17-Apr-16 18:45:01

Opened this thinking you were worried because you'd just found out that your husband is actually your uncle or something grin The drinking is a non issue as long as you're not boozing to that extent now.

HandbagFan Sun 17-Apr-16 18:50:00

I told the Midwife I drank 1.5-2 bottles of wine a week and it never came up again (DS now 8 weeks old). I had already stopped completely by the time I took the test, and had only one glass of champagne the whole way through my pregnancy.

They're concerned about what you do during your pregnancy. What's the benefit to lying about the past?

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Sun 17-Apr-16 18:50:26

I just don't see the point in drinking alcahol when pregnant. Can you not abstain? Is it that important to you.

NHS guidelines suggest not drinking at all as the alcahol goes through the blood stream in to the babies placenta. Would you give your new born a drop of wine in its bottle ? No, I bet you wouldn't.

I easily drank two bottle of wine a week maybe more and smokes fags but was able to give up - it really isn't that long.

NHS LINKY

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Sun 17-Apr-16 18:54:44

Yes, I can, but I don't believe the risk of an occasional drink is so great that I should worry about it

It may not be but why would you risk it? It's really selfish as they struggle to process it. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and gagging for a gin and tonic or a glass bottle of wine but it's not something I'd do to my baby. If I see pregnant women smoking or drinking then I can't help but judge.

2under2aagh Sun 17-Apr-16 19:01:56

Only an idiot would drink at all when they are pregnant

Fas children are disabled children.

Don't you want your baby to be healthy and lead a normal life???

Why get pregnant if you can't be bothered to put the baby's needs first???

Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 19:02:36

Chippednailvarnish Sun 17-Apr-16 19:07:34

What a pointless thread. You're worried about telling a midwife that you drank before you got pregnant and now you are actually pregnant, when alcohol damage matters, you're going to carry on drinking. confused

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Sun 17-Apr-16 19:12:27

Yep doesn t like hearing that the advice is not to drink. Did you even read the link op?

Fingers in ears - tra la la!

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Sun 17-Apr-16 19:13:41

the irony of this this thread....

Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 19:21:29

AyeAmarok Sun 17-Apr-16 19:22:19

Do you think you might have a drink problem Pearl?

Pearlman Sun 17-Apr-16 19:29:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now