Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gaviscon not really doing the trick

(9 Posts)
socktastic Sat 16-Apr-16 08:37:15

I'm now at the point I'm drinking gaviscon like its juice. It's not having as much effect now as it was.
I have an old box of omeprazole I had from reflux issues from before I was pregnant, which I never actually used. Would it be bad to just crack them open and use on particularly bad days or is it something I need to see the doc about?

NotSoFancyPancy Sat 16-Apr-16 09:20:34

I found ranitidine great this time round. Was prescribed by consultant but I think you can get over the counter too. Maybe go talk to your local pharmacist?

CityMole Sat 16-Apr-16 09:22:47

I'm on ranitidine 150mg X 2 a day. You can buy the 75g strength in the chemist/ supermarket (and double the dose) but I got a prescription because I was really going through it.

CityMole Sat 16-Apr-16 09:23:51

Omeprazole is routinely prescribed in pregnancy too, but you'd be as well to call your GP to check.

seven201 Sat 16-Apr-16 09:33:01

You can get gaviscon advanced from behind the counter. I didn't know that until the other day.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Apr-16 09:43:00

Not pregnant but had a dreadful time recently with terrible heartburn/ indegestion and after trying everything the best thing was to chew gum, absolutely brilliant.

Miffy1979 Sat 16-Apr-16 12:01:03

I'd use the omeprazole, it sorted my reflux out really quickly. smile

Colabottle10 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:02:38

A month on ranitidine and it did sod all. I'm on day 2 of omeprazole and already feeling a difference.

Mrsmulder Sat 16-Apr-16 16:07:30

Gaviscon advance is definitely better than plain gaviscon so I would try that first if I were you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now